Gibson Brands Forums

Country Gentleman

luvgibson

Hi Guys,

The machineheads on my 1997 Country Gentleman, which are the ones with the winders, are getting a bit old and loose. I need to replace them without having to do any "woodwork".

Can you recommend a replacement? Should I use locking units?

Thanks George

Maybe if you can post a photo of the stock machine heads we can offer a suggestion. But this is always a difficult issue, and we can't guarantee you won't need to "drill or fill" when you actually do the replacement.

If you have a reliable guitar tech in your area, have him take some measurements off the original tuners and recommend a tuner that would not require modification to the size of the holes in the peghead.

I had a '91 CG with the cranks and I believe they were regular Schallers, M-6 or something like that. Not including the winders of course. However if you say they're getting a little sloppy, maybe all you need to do is tightend up the knobs a little. Schallers are sweet, period. I don't think I've ever seen one wear out. Might just try tightening each screw a little. Don't go nuts, just tighten them a little, 1/8 turn or so and see if you notice a difference.

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your advise. I,ve tried taking pictures but no success ...I,m a better guitar player than photographer!

The machine heads do not have a method for tightening the tension. Just the winders and one fixing screw at the rear of the headstock and of course each one is enscribed "Gibson"

I.ll take your advise and consult a luthiere

I'm a big fan of locking tuners but my Chet still have the originals one it. KSDaddy is right about the Schallers. Accept for the Gibson logo they are the originals.

Makes me wonder if these would work as locking tuners that would still look right.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/406C?utm_source=none&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CILi7ZDRs7ECFQTqnAodYxoAWA

Are those removable inserts where the "Gibson" label is? They almost look like something you can pry out to get at the insides, at least in the straight Schaller photos.

Forgive my ignorance, but these tuners had to go together some way, and you must be able to take them apart in a similar fashion.

Archived