Gibson Brands Forums

The New Gibson Les Paul Standard

Jaco

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the original poster to this query, let me step back in.

The Gibson guy never mentioned that Bypass would override push/pull on Bridge volume. However, the Captain did say everything (including push/pull) would be overridden. I didn't finish the Anderton's video to see if they demo'd it. However, I think it's fair to say, judging from my experience and that of others that perhaps at some point this year Gibson has changed the wiring. I honestly wish I could post a video of my god-awful playing to demo the wiring (I doubt a webcam video would be worth posting). I'm not imagining it; there's a discernible difference when Bypassing and the Bridge Volume knob is either ON/OFF.

I have been pulling my hair out (what little I have of it) trying to hear a difference. If there is then it is so subtle that it's a moot point. I thought I started to hear a difference but then another time there is none. I do hope someone can come up with a definitive answer from Gibson. I don't mind being wrong or the fool I just want to know.

Also I don't speak a word of German and any post I did was from a translator program on the net. I do not want to deceive anyone... just having some fun. Sorry if I offended anyone. That is not really my style.

I have been pulling my hair out (what little I have of it) trying to hear a difference. If there is then it is so subtle that it's a moot point. I thought I started to hear a difference but then another time there is none. I do hope someone can come up with a definitive answer from Gibson. I don't mind being wrong or the fool I just want to know.

I'll confirm for my LP tonight but would anyone on this forum really be shocked if Gibson made a change to their wiring without announcing it? I'll see how poorly a webcam video turns out, but maybe I'll record something.

I'll confirm for my LP tonight but would anyone on this forum really be shocked if Gibson made a change to their wiring without announcing it? I'll see how poorly a webcam video turns out, but maybe I'll record something.

Any update on your recording or is it still a Work in Progress?

• 1 year later...

I know that Rabs does not like the neck on the 2012 Standard but I just don't understand why. It is a 60's neck which I know he likes. It also is asymetrical so it is easier to play the high notes and lead. The compound radius also makes it easier to play lead lines higher up the neck.

The tonal options are awesome. I have owned this guitar since 4/26/12 which was a birthday gift to myself!

I get the Peter Green tone and loads more.

After 50 years of playing loads of guitars I just feel this is like the hole grail of new guitars.

I said before that variety is the spice of life but this guitar does what any other LP can do and more.

I love my 2012 Les Paul Standard and the Asymmetrical neck.

My only gripes are that its still tough to play lead up by the 22nd fret... and the push-pull knobs are hard to engage while playing.

Now if only the Axcess came with the Asymmetrical neck... plus quick toggling switches instead of push-pull... that would be my Holy Grail. (Stopbar tail of course)

I love my 2012 Les Paul Standard and the Asymmetrical neck.

My only gripes are that its still tough to play lead up by the 22nd fret... and the push-pull knobs are hard to engage while playing.

Now if only the Axcess came with the Asymmetrical neck... plus quick toggling switches instead of push-pull... that would be my Holy Grail. (Stopbar tail of course)

I felt that Top Hat knobs are inconvenient for pulling, and therefore I changed to Speed knobs.

• 2 weeks later...

I felt that Top Hat knobs are inconvenient for pulling, and therefore I changed to Speed knobs.

Thank you for that suggestion. I ordered the Speed Knobs and finally got them installed.

It definitely improves the usability of the push/pull knobs!

However, its still not easy to pull it out with a pick in your hand while playing. I wonder if it can be replaced with a push-push pot?

I will have to investigate...

Thank you for that suggestion. I ordered the Speed Knobs and finally got them installed.

It definitely improves the usability of the push/pull knobs!

However, its still not easy to pull it out with a pick in your hand while playing. I wonder if it can be replaced with a push-push pot?

I will have to investigate...

Sadly, I have to confirm this, too. It is better but push/push pots would allow for easier engaging the switches. I didn't go with them up to now since I am concerned about their life expectancy, and I prefer to know the setting by the knob's position at a glance or a touch.

A change to push/push pots should work basically when sacrificing the printed circuit board and the QuickConnect cables I think.

Sadly, I have to confirm this, too. It is better but push/push pots would allow for easier engaging the switches. I didn't go with them up to now since I am concerned about their life expectancy, and I prefer to know the setting by the knob's position at a glance or a touch.

A change to push/push pots should work basically when sacrificing the printed circuit board and the QuickConnect cables I think.

Yes the dreaded Les Paul circuit board...

Slightly off topic, but...

I noticed you own more than one Les Paul Axcess... does this design allow you to easily play lead up to the 22nd fret? Is it as easy to play as your Ibanez RG430?

Thank you!

Sam

...I had a chance to play one not long ago during a demo making and I liked it a lot.

It has all the advantages of the old and loved Les Paul STD, sounds amazing and feels great, really smooth to play.

It's heavy, but if you are a Les Paul fan you are OK with that, I prefer it to be heavey and not chambered god forbid (-; (really didn't like the chambered ones...)

Heavy? I think its pretty light... but I've been playing a 1976 Les Paul Standard, complete with the larger Deluxe headstock, and it weighs a hefty 11+ pounds.

My 2012 LPS is only 8 lbs and feels a lot lighter.

Archived