Gibson Brands Forums

The New Gibson Les Paul Standard

Jaco

Hi All,

I know there is a bit of controversy over the new Les Paul, is it good or not, necessary, what was wrong with the "old" les paul ect...

Just wanted to share a private experience of mine with the new Gibson Les Paul Standard 2012.

I had a chance to play one not long ago during a demo making and I liked it a lot.

It has all the advantages of the old and loved Les Paul STD, sounds amazing and feels great, really smooth to play.

It's heavy, but if you are a Les Paul fan you are OK with that, I prefer it to be heavey and not chambered god forbid (-; (really didn't like the chambered ones...)

The Coil tap options and the bridge bypass option are great.

Some try to compare it to a traditional Strat as it's the most known single coil guitar ever made I guess, but for me that wasn't the case.

I was just amazed that it can sound like something else other than a Les Paul, and still sound GREAT!

I don't look at it as a strat replacement, or anything like that, even though some people are fine with that, but as a cool feature that lets me

bring out of my guitar a lot of great sounds...

I do need some time to get used to all the positions though...a lot of push pulls (-:

Just wanted to share this with you,

is there anyone here who had tried the new les paul? I am sure people will be happy to hear your experience...I know I would

if you want to hear the demos you can find them here

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Jaco! I would like to let You know: the new Standard is a chambered guitar too! They are all chambered for a while now, although the new 2012 model has an updated construction (called the "wheelspoke" chambering). The Traditional is "more" solid (it has nine weight-relieving holes). Cheers... Bence

Hello Jaco! I would like to let You know: the new Standard is a chambered guitar too! They are all chambered for a while now, although the new 2012 model has an updated construction (called the "wheelspoke" chambering). The Traditional is "more" solid (it has nine weight-relieving holes). Cheers... Bence

Wow I will check into it! thanks for that, I just had a chambered LP not long ago (a lot lighter than this 2012) and I disliked it...

Is it the same chambered body under a different name now? cause It sounds a lot better...

Hello Jaco! The new chambering is very different to what was used prior the introduction of this construction in 2012. It has more, but smaller chambers than before - that is why it's heavier. Please refer to this: http://www2.gibson.com/Mobile/Features/Article.aspx?Path=/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/weight-relief-gibson-les-paul-guitars-0615-2012. Cheers... Bence

Weight relieved - swiss cheese holes drilled in to reduce weight. Gibson began using weight relief around 1983.

Chamber - hollowed out area to reduce weight and improve acoustic resonance. Gibson began using chambering round 2006.

The LP Historic Reissues are solid . (no weight relief, no chambering).

The LP Traditional is weight-relieved (Swiss Cheese - drilled out holes inside mahogany under the top)

lp2w.gif

All other LPs are now chambered (routed out hollow inside mahogany under the top)

chambered_les_paul_505.jpg

"Modern weight relief", as Gibson calls it on the spec sheet of the 2012 LP Standard, enhances resonance and reduces weight

modern-weight-relief.jpg

IMHO the 2012 LP Standard is the most amazing LP Gibson has ever offered at an amazing price. From top (locking tuners)to bottom (locking bridge and tail piece) the features of this guitar are without peer.

You get AAA top, extremely versatile electric switching options, totally comfortable asymetrical and compound radius neck, awesome colour options, and QC that are the best I have seen in a production guitar.

The modern weight relief is well thought out.The pups are the best Fihon 0

I do not understand why an LP player would not love this amazing guitar.

I was under the impression that the Bypass feature was supposed to bypass all switches, volumes, and push/pulls and just do a direct output to the bridge pickup. However, on my LP it seems my bypass is affected by my bridge volume push/pull. So I can get a fat humbucker bridge bypass or a thinner coil-tapped bypass depending on the position of the push/pull bridge volume knob. Is this normal?

I was under the impression that the Bypass feature was supposed to bypass all switches, volumes, and push/pulls and just do a direct output to the bridge pickup. However, on my LP it seems my bypass is affected by my bridge volume push/pull. So I can get a fat humbucker bridge bypass or a thinner coil-tapped bypass depending on the position of the push/pull bridge volume knob. Is this normal?

No it is not.

Mine works as advertized.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do?

Did you but your guitar locally or over the net? If locally bring it back to the store and see what they say. If over the net then you may have to deal with Gibson. Is there a local authorized dealer near you. This should be a quick fix. When did you purchase it.

I am so head over heals in love with this ax.

• 4 weeks later...

This is normal and exactly as advertised on the Gibson website. The only deviation from the manufacturer's specifications is the non-linear tapering of the volume pots.

At least it all is the case with my own Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus Honey Burst # 109320561.

I know that Rabs does not like the neck on the 2012 Standard but I just don't understand why. It is a 60's neck which I know he likes. It also is asymetrical so it is easier to play the high notes and lead. The compound radius also makes it easier to play lead lines higher up the neck.

The tonal options are awesome. I have owned this guitar since 4/26/12 which was a birthday gift to myself!

I get the Peter Green tone and loads more.

After 50 years of playing loads of guitars I just feel this is like the hole grail of new guitars.

I said before that variety is the spice of life but this guitar does what any other LP can do and more.

This is normal and exactly as advertised on the Gibson website. The only deviation from the manufacturer's specifications is the non-linear tapering of the volume pots.

At least it all is the case with my own Les Paul Standard 2012 Premium Plus Honey Burst # 109320561.

Good to know. Thanks!

I know that Rabs does not like the neck on the 2012 Standard but I just don't understand why. It is a 60's neck which I know he likes. It also is asymetrical so it is easier to play the high notes and lead. The compound radius also makes it easier to play lead lines higher up the neck.

The tonal options are awesome. I have owned this guitar since 4/26/12 which was a birthday gift to myself!

I get the Peter Green tone and loads more.

After 50 years of playing loads of guitars I just feel this is like the hole grail of new guitars.

I said before that variety is the spice of life but this guitar does what any other LP can do and more.

Well as said by another member on here (Gary Moore Tribute).. I already have a 2008 Standard that im REALLY happy with.. I love the neck and the BB pros and the finish...

So to spend that much money and sell another guitar really just for the push/pull options and a more flamy top wasnt worth it to me..

And with the neck... It suprised me too. I was thinking I was going to love it.. But oddly enough it was the compund radius at the high end of the board that put me off. It just didnt feel right lol

As you say its all good.. Each to their own... Right now im more interested in the new Midtown Standards with P90s :)

Interesting reading, I'll have to give one a try and see how the neck feels. At first, reading about these new Standards I wasn't sure what to think. I had coil split humbuckers on a PRS and didn't care much of the single coil tone, nor did I like the thin neck so I sold it and the new owner couldn't be happier. I would like to add a Gold top to my collection and more tonal flare. I was thinking of grabbing up another 2008 Standard or Traditional before they dissapear,but I ordered an ES 339 with the 59 neck from my local SA instead. The wife would faint if I came home with another LP knowing I ordered the 339. She's actually looking forward to hearing the 339. Meanwhile I wait it out until it arrives. It better be a good one or I'll refuse it and have them order another one. It's only been three weeks and Gibson said it can be up to three months.... tick tock...

As you say its all good.. Each to their own... Right now im more interested in the new Midtown Standards with P90s :)

Dude so am I! Supposed to receive one if few weeks and can't wait to check it out, I got a feeling it'd sound great...

Dude so am I! Supposed to receive one if few weeks and can't wait to check it out, I got a feeling it'd sound great...

I just purchased a Midtown Standard with a Bigsby and '57 and '57+ pickups. Greatsounding guitar at a great price. The P-90 version sounds way cool as well. I know Rabs will love the neck. '60's slim Profile with medium jumbo frets. I suppose the P-90 version has the same.

I just purchased a Midtown Standard with a Bigsby and '57 and '57+ pickups. Greatsounding guitar at a great price. The P-90 version sounds way cool as well. I know Rabs will love the neck. '60's slim Profile with medium jumbo frets. I suppose the P-90 version has the same.

Yup I reckon it will be awesome :)

Ive tried bothe the 339 an the 336 and loved both of them.. But the 336 is crazy custom prices (£2500 ish) and the 339 is something more like Les Paul prices at around £1600 BUT ive seen the new Midtowns up on the site of my shop and they are going for £999 :o thats just nutty for a 336 type guitar with P90s.. Just nutty i tell you :)

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-midtown-standard-p-90-semi-acoustic-guitar-wine-red--99741

Yup I reckon it will be awesome :)

Ive tried bothe the 339 an the 336 and loved both of them.. But the 336 is crazy custom prices (£2500 ish) and the 339 is something more like Les Paul prices at around £1600 BUT ive seen the new Midtowns up on the site of my shop and they are going for £999 :o thats just nutty for a 336 type guitar with P90s.. Just nutty i tell you :)

http://www.dv247.com/guitars/gibson-midtown-standard-p-90-semi-acoustic-guitar-wine-red--99741

One thing you might know already is that it is not a semi-hollow body the way that a 335 or 339 is. It is actually a solid piece of mahogany that is heavilly chambered and a flat (not arched) top with f holes. It is a bit bigger than a 339 but also a bit smaller than a 335. IMHO it sounds more like a 335 than the 339 does.

Weighs in at around 8.5 lbs and is very comfortable to play sitting or standing. The P-90 version is probably a bit lighter since it does not have the Bigsby.

I find the tuners are a bit wanting. They work and keep the guitar in tune but I don't like the backlash when tuning up. A little gap before it takes hold. I may switch mine out for the locking ones on the 2012 LP Standard.

Still a great price on a stellar sounding guitar.

One thing you might know already is that it is not a semi-hollow body the way that a 335 or 339 is. It is actually a solid piece of mahogany that is heavilly chambered and a flat (not arched) top with f holes. It is a bit bigger than a 339 but also a bit smaller than a 335. IMHO it sounds more like a 335 than the 339 does.

Weighs in at around 8.5 lbs and is very comfortable to play sitting or standing. The P-90 version is probably a bit lighter since it does not have the Bigsby.

I find the tuners are a bit wanting. They work and keep the guitar in tune but I don't like the backlash when tuning up. A little gap before it takes hold. I may switch mine out for the locking ones on the 2012 LP Standard.

Still a great price on a stellar sounding guitar.

Yup... [thumbup] the same way a 336 is made by hollowing out a solid body.. And yes I dont like the big guitars like 335s and 175s and stuff.. I much prefer the smaller bodies :)

Also the new Midtowns have Rosewood fingerboards that I also prefer..

So I cant wait to try it :)

... After 50 years of playing loads of guitars I just feel this is like the hole grail of new guitars.

As of me, it's only 32 years, but everything else quoted here entirely meets me and my experiences.

I was rereading this thread when I came accross your comment about the bypass feature on the bridge pckups tone control. It bypasses all other settings and none of the other pots are functioning when it is engaged. I also do not see anywhere on Gibsons web site that would suggest otherwise. If it is can you please point it out to me.

Just to make sure I was not losing my mind I just tested it and when the bridge pickups tone pot is engaged (pulled out) no change to any other pot effects it. You can pull the volume knob out and it is exactly the same ie no change to the volume or tone. You can turn the volume all the way off and again no change. Pull the bridge volume and again no change.If yours does change than you need to have it looked at as it is not working properly.

Archived