Gibson Brands Forums

Angus Young Signature Pickup Nightmare

EvoRider

Hello let me start off by saying i have a Epiphone G-400.. I bought the guitar new about a year ago. Never had it in a shop and has been a great guitar. Now a about a week ago i bought a Used Angus Young signature pickup off Craiglist and installed into my G-400 bridge position.. Sounded like crap and had no volume and and would not even breakup on my almost new Marshall class5 amp. So i removed it and reinstalled my original pickup and everything was back to normal... now i figured i had been screwed so i just broke down and bought a New Angus Young signature pickup. Just got it in today and it is doing the very same thing.. I am hooking up the wires the same way it showes in the info card with it.. now my orginal Epiphone pickup has 2 wires and the new has and old Angus young sig has 4 wires.. Here is how i am hooking them up... Red to Pot. green and white together and taped. black and bare to Pot ground.. is this not right??? I have also reversed the Black and Red wires for out of phase pickups.. after i done this you could not even here it thru the amp at all.... Please help i have just called Gibson and i had to leave a message... I would love to be able to play my guitar again...... [crying]

If you can't figure it out, try starting with just hooking the pickup directly to the jack socket to test it.

then start adding volume, tone and advanced wiring step by step to see where you might have a problem.

Yea, Gibson uses vinyl electrical tape to insulate these connections. That can slip when you sun the pickup in the wax pot. It's rare but it can happen. I use shrink tubing on this sort of connections when I make pickup.

This thing sounds great though!

Archived