Gibson Brands Forums

Will it or wont it... The Great British Weather

Rabs

Sooooo..

Its the Olympics on Friday... Personally I couldnt care less, just not into sport, probably never will be.. and living in East London its only going to cause me pain (the central line broke down yesterday [unsure] and it hasnt even started yet).

But I just wonder whats going to happen.. Anyone who has been to the UK probably knows the weather is just crazy over here, not that we get stuff like tornados or anything like that (we are lucky in that way).. It just tends to rain alot here and be very grey and the biggest thing is the speed it changes.. you can have sunny blues skys, rain and hail all in one day (within a few hours).. so you never know how to dress or what to expect.

So the last few weeks it was raining every day and about 18 degress (well it is summer :)) over the weekend that broke and since Sunday its been more like 25-30 degrees... (its over 30 today)..

Sooo what do we think.. Rain is predictied for Friday, but that changes on a dialy basis... Theres no roof on the Olympic Stadium so if it does rain im not sure what they are gonna do...??

Whats the bets :)

I'm betting on a major terrorist attack personaly.

Nothing like optimism :P :)

Well I know that the securtiy around there is mad.. My family has a building just around the corner in the Old Ford area.. I was there today and there were sniffer dogs and helicopters flying around and load of police driving around too..

Who knows... but I really hope nothing like that happens...

Guest farnsbarns

Clearly I hope it doesn't happen too but I've been saying for 2 years that at the very least it's been planned. All this G4S business is a little bit fishy as well. I believe it's been staged to allow for using troops without causing alarm. MI6 know something we don't.

Clearly I hope it doesn't happen too but I've been saying for 2 years that at the very least it's been planned. All this G4S business is a little bit fishy as well. I believe it's been staged to allow for using troops without causing alarm. MI6 know something we don't.

Maybe... lol

I actually live near hainault.. and just up the road (I saw it the other day).. they have built a whole complex in hainalut forest.. it looked like something out of a disaster film :o

Oh well.. we will see.. :) heres hoping that London pulls this one off [thumbup] (even though like you I have my doubts)

Trust me this G4S business is not fishy, these security companies are just

incompetent and in for a fast buck.

They'll promise everything to get a client. I do know some G4S guards here in Canada.

They are underpaid, not well trained and most of them are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Good thing the troops are there.

Guest farnsbarns

Trust me this G4S business is not fishy, these security companies are just

incompetent and in for a fast buck.

They'll promise everything to get a client. I do know some G4S guards here in Canada.

They are underpaid, not well trained and most of them are dumber than a bag of hammers.

Good thing the troops are there.

I'm sure all that's true but what got me thinking was the CEO's reply to the question "do you accept that this is a major embarrassment to G4S?". His response, through slightly gritted teeth, was "I cannot disagree". This seemed a little bit like he had been cajoled and had to not agree specifically but not say "no" either.

Anyway, I'm not the conspiracy theory type but something just doesn't seem right about it to me. Today a further 1100 troops were shipped in despite G4S having sorted the short fall, especially given that that means they're paying twice for security despite being in the grips of the worst recession since the 30's.

If they've got the troops, why not use them? Why hire a private firm? It wouldn't cost the UK government a dime, other than the cost to move them.

Soldiers are already vetted, trained, and well armed, not to mention already on the payroll, making not a whole ton of money. Why not assign them to Olympic duty from the get-go?

btw, I have a niece who is working behind the scenes stuff. Shuttling high level coaches around, etc.

If they've got the troops, why not use them? Why hire a private firm? It wouldn't cost the UK government a dime, other than the cost to move them.

Soldiers are already vetted, trained, and well armed, not to mention already on the payroll, making not a whole ton of money. Why not assign them to Olympic duty from the get-go?

btw, I have a niece who is working behind the scenes stuff. Shuttling high level coaches around, etc.

I think the idea is to have a slightly friendlier face than being welcomed by soldiers weilding guns... But it seems that we are better off with them anyway as I agree with you they are better trained (fron what I have heard the G$ security staff are poor at best (undertrained)....

But thats the whole thing.. No one ever seems to know whats going on in our Coalition Government all they do is spend time moaning at each other and not doing their job properly..

Oh well.. I dont really want to turn this into a political debate lol... We will see what happens soon enough :)

Guest farnsbarns

I've got to correct you. Soldiers on duty receive an LSA payment, they also have to be fed watered and clothed which G4S staff would pay for themselves, they also receive a waiting allowance for working in London. The logistical costs are considerable as well. Add to that the extra training that soldiers receive before they can work in a public facing role and the cost goes up again. Not to mention the knock on effects this has for other military operations.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they are there but to say it costs nothing couldn't be further from the truth.

Archived