Gibson Brands Forums

Difference between 2009, 2011, 2012 SG standard

JimmyTheMonkey

I know that the federal raid issues resulted in a new fretboard material for 2012, but what other changes have there been since the 2009 model?

I am new here - making my first Gibson purchase and I am VERY excited. I have played a bunch of guitars and narrowed it down to 3 SG standards. A 2012 black, the 2011 Sam Ash Pelham Blue, and a 2009 black. The first two are new - and full price. The 2009 is a used one I found locally on Craig's List. I am inclined to save money and go with the 2009 (although that blue one is gorgeous).

I just want to make sure there weren't any major changes between 2009 and present to justify buying a newer one. I feel like if the 2009 plays well, I should save the money and buy it. The guitars look basically identical, but I am not sure if there is any behind the scenes stuff I should be worried about. Also, are there any problems areas I should look out for when purchasing?

Thank you - I look forward to being an active member of this community!

All 3 would make great guitars if everything is fine with each of them. Obviously the new ones will come with the full warranty, which is a huge plus if you love the guitar enough to keep it forever. The used one will not have a factory warranty, but if the price is right, you stand to save about $400 over buying the new ones. There is no differences between the "standard" SG's of 2009 thru 2011, as long as the guitar was pre-raid and has the rosewood fretboard. Otherwise, the 2012 model (and maybe the 2011) will likely have baked maple boards. The call on fretboard material is all up to you.

All 3 would make great guitars if everything is fine with each of them. Obviously the new ones will come with the full warranty, which is a huge plus if you love the guitar enough to keep it forever. The used one will not have a factory warranty, but if the price is right, you stand to save about $400 over buying the new ones. There is no differences between the "standard" SG's of 2009 thru 2011, as long as the guitar was pre-raid and has the rosewood fretboard. Otherwise, the 2012 model (and maybe the 2011) will likely have baked maple boards. The call on fretboard material is all up to you.

Thank you for your complete reply. In case the 2009 purchase doesn't come through (anything goes on CL, after all), are most of the Standards made in the last 10 years basically the same? Anything I should shy aware from or keep an eye out for?

The SG has had different neck profiles, such as the slim taper and a '50's profile. In recent years, it seems they have settled into a round profile neck. As for things to look for, SG's can feel neck-heavy and have a tendency for the headstock to dive towards the floor. Also, the neck joint has been a weak spot in the SG's design since it was introduced. Just don't drop it ;)

There's actually quite a few variations depending on what you are looking at. Some have different pickups, traditional wiring or a pcb board, and the fretboard and neck profile (already mentioned), For instance my classic white standard from 2010 has an ebony board, burstbucker 2&3 pickups, 60's style slim taper neck, and traditional wiring.

There's actually quite a few variations depending on what you are looking at. Some have different pickups, traditional wiring or a pcb board, and the fretboard and neck profile (already mentioned), For instance my classic white standard from 2010 has an ebony board, burstbucker 2&3 pickups, 60's style slim taper neck, and traditional wiring.

Well, I figured that the various special edition guitars would have different setups. I am pretty much just only looking at SG standards in Ebony. Aside from different neck profiles, which I will test in person anyway, I was just wondering if there any other less apparent changes in the guitar from model year to model year. I want to make sure there isn't a particular year that had a lot of lemons or anything of the sort.

Also, is there a list anywhere of the various models and changes of the SG from year to year?

Well, I figured that the various special edition guitars would have different setups. I am pretty much just only looking at SG standards in Ebony. Aside from different neck profiles, which I will test in person anyway, I was just wondering if there any other less apparent changes in the guitar from model year to model year. I want to make sure there isn't a particular year that had a lot of lemons or anything of the sort.

Also, is there a list anywhere of the various models and changes of the SG from year to year?

There's no major changes that I'm aware of either. I've had a 2004, 2005 and a 2011 Standard. The 2011 is my favorite, becuase I love how it plays and I like the fretboard. However, they're very similar guitars IMO, other than the different finishes that they had.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice! I ended up picking up a 2010 Standard that I found locally on CL. Guitar is in great shape, comes with original case, and guy upgraded to Grover tuners. I am having it set up now. I greatly appreciate everyone's input along the way.

Now I just need to find a new low-watt all-tube amp to replace my ancient Line 6! I spent 3 hours in Sam Ash today looking at the Blackstar HT-20, Marshall Class 5, and Fender Blues Jr. Decisions, decisions!

SAM_1717.jpg

...Now I just need to find a new low-watt all-tube amp to replace my ancient Line 6! I spent 3 hours in Sam Ash today looking at the Blackstar HT-20, Marshall Class 5, and Fender Blues Jr. Decisions, decisions!

Good looking SG. Check out a Vox AC4TV if you're looking for a low wattage tube amp. I have one of those, I like it. I've heard good things about the Blackstar's, and the Marshall Class 5 is really cool. I got the Vox because you can change the wattage from 4 to 1 to 1/4 watts. -Helpful for practicing and not annoying other people. Cheers.

Thanks to everyone here for their advice! I ended up picking up a 2010 Standard that I found locally on CL. Guitar is in great shape, comes with original case, and guy upgraded to Grover tuners. I am having it set up now. I greatly appreciate everyone's input along the way.

Now I just need to find a new low-watt all-tube amp to replace my ancient Line 6! I spent 3 hours in Sam Ash today looking at the Blackstar HT-20, Marshall Class 5, and Fender Blues Jr. Decisions, decisions!

SAM_1717.jpg

Looks just like mine, but I put speed knobs on it.

D

Archived