Gibson Brands Forums

SG neck pocket *SCARY*

BillyBlades

Hi. Im not an engineer but i do appreciate anything sturdy and well built. Upon changing pickups in my sg i saw into the neck joint and even tho both of my sg guitars are holding up fine i remember walking into a local music store as a kid and seeing a vintage sg with a terrible "bow " right at the neck pocket.

Yikes!

I certainly hope this doesnt happen to my sg guitars. Looking into the neck pocket gave me the chills. Scary looking!

I really dont know how it withstands the string tension without literally Ripping the neck right off! Maybe Epi should make them with the more modern neck picket design. Definately not what i would call Solid.

Now dont get me wrong,,, I freakin love my SG s. Maybe moderrn adhesives will keep my guitars from looking like a bow n arrow lol.

Im just thinking for a name "Solid Guitar ",,, it should be more Solid.

There is a quarter inch slab of wood joining the neck that extends under the pickup. The actual neck is glued on that piece and maybe inly 1" on each side of the neck that is glued to the body. It looks flimsy

Btw,

pickups were gfs veh for the bridge and,,,, ready for this?

A gfs brighton 8k ohm for the neck OMMFG does this combination kick major ***!

Something told me to do it and i usually like an educated risk n it paid off! I will get some videos up with my modded marshalls this week!

I left the glossy cherry sg alone because that guitar rocks right outta the box!

But..

This faded sg with its new gfs pickups just kills tonewise now. The veh has that stringy,, bouncy van halen essence with a bright but full tone while the brighton can be sweet or mean with that Brian may sound. Very violin like.

They even had a pickup ring for like 3bux to put the single coil in a humbucker guitar!

Way to go GFS!

Epi is focused on using the early SG neck JOINT design for some reason. The later SG neck joint from 66'? on is definitely much more stable but the early one will hold up if one does not abuse it by doing neck bends and maybe avoiding using any gauge of strings over 10-46 unless you low-tune. There are thousands of Gibson examples of this early 60's neck joint still holding up quite well. Just don't act like Tarzan with it and it will be ok. I agree with you and think they should adopt the longer SG neck joint, But I think it's probably more time consuming and costly to do so.

I never thought about pics. I gotta change strings soon so i will play photog then ")

I was able to change pickups while just loosening the strings. I only use 10 guage strings.

Looking at the construction just made me worry a bit. I get hella agressive when i play. I m like a vanilla gorilla with a guitar. So far so good tho. :)

The GFS pickups ROCK! I will post a video tues when i get back in town.

I would love to see the SG built with the modern neck joint. . Then i would feel comfortable calling it a "solid guitar " :D

Did i mention i really like GFS pickups?

Ok,,, i guess its still worthless,,, still no pics lol

I did manage to get a video tho.

Now look,,,

I went in on my day off,,, no ac on,,, sweaty hot sloppy slippery picking n all ")

Looking back,,, it kinda reminds me of my bad gigs in sweaty hot Balto city bars! Lmao.

:)

Playing aside,, please try to focus on the tones lol

I did this just to get er Done . I was tired too.

Very busy this week!

Please enjoy

Ps,

The 3 other videos uploaded the same day were done with my seafoam Les Paul studio. Its my number one Epi loaded with gibby 498 & 496 pickups. :D

When you upped the gain at 1:12 that really hit the spot for me. Before that it sounded horrible to my ears - really thin and nasally, after that it just came alive with the dynamics and harmonics coming through. Further gain increases on either channel seemed to just muddy things.

How the limited dynamics of YouTube reproduction have affected this I can't say but that section between 1:12 and 2:30 seemed to really be the sweet spot for guitar and amp.

I think so too. It was sunday and i couldnt crank it

i like to play with gig volume when i can. This amp need the power tubes cookinn "/

Next video will be with volume up alot more than talking volume :)

I just went and listened. Before 1:12 i had the guitar volume down to show the amp cleaning up as the volume was low. Around the time you liked, i raised the guitar volume.

Those pickups are very bright n twangy by nature.

Thanks for checking the video out :)

This was done with my lp studio

Archived