Gibson Brands Forums

Nick Lucas owners!

struma6

I'm really really wanting to pick one of these up. Played one and loved it, can't shake it!

Any and all NL owners, give me your thoughts on these lovely thangs. I did a search and ended up with 181 results and, honestly, I'd rather get it in one thread instead of going through all that. Yes, I'm lazy.

Anyhow, thoughts? Opinions?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand

Begin

I have an '05 Nick Lucas Elite reissue. I am not entirely sure what upgrades there are to this instrument to make it Elite. Some of the Elites had ebony board and bridge but this doesn't. It is kind of fancy looking. Maple. When I got it from board member Cameleye it had lights and after the transition to a different climate on the other side of the continent settled into extremely low action, which I just enjoyed and played jazz on for a while. Eventually I got it set up at Gryphon in Palo Alto with medium strings. It's kind of a different beast with the two gauges of strings. Nicks have a lot of bass for an L-00 outline guitar. They are pretty versatile for the right player. If you want to bang out rhythm for rock and pop, get a hummingbird or a J-45, not a nick. Nicks require less energy and more finesse.

I posted a video of this guitar (with mediums) in the Acoustical Performances thread recently.

Wannabe NL owner here...that responsiveness coupled with the Maple and small body is just heavenly to me.

I bought a CJ165 a few years back which plugged the NL GAS gap for a while,but had to be returned due to a defect in the top :-(

Had my hands on one a couple weeks ago. Found it to be a very nice small guitar. Probably wouldn't be an all rounder. Very distinctive though. The one I played was maple with an adi top, 12 frets. Had the deep body like a Jackson Brown but seemed narrower at the nut than a JB. Nicely blinged without being gawdy.

Archived