Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone ever install a Rubber Grommet (pickup selector)

bobmeredith

Hi all

My pickup selector was loose when I bought my used '06 ES-175. I loosened it off so I could also re-orientate the switch and found that the round nut have chipped the side of the hole slightly.

I've never been a fan of screwing something metal directly onto the face of a nitro guitar so I want to install a rubber grommet to protect it from further damage.

Has anyone done this? Is it a PITA?

I've ordered one of these but I think an Ibanez one (on order) may be smaller and easier.

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_toggleswitches.htm

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Be careful where you place it. Nitro reacts with rubber, soft pliable plastics and some foams - melts the nitro. There's been plenty of posts here from members who have damaged their nitro finish using products that react with nitro.

Be careful where you place it. Nitro reacts with rubber, soft pliable plastics and some foams - melts the nitro. There's been plenty of posts here from members who have damaged their nitro finish using products that react with nitro.

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder if there is something inert and thin like paper or Aluminium foil I could place underneath it?

.Nitro reacts with rubber

As a blanket statement, this is simply UNTRUE.

Yes, obviously certain materials do react with nitro, but the switch on "ES" models of the L-5, Super 400 and Byrdland (and others) are mounted in rubber grommets. Similarly, not ALL rubber covered guitar stands, and hangers, damage a nitro finish.

I would "assume" that a rubber switch grommet that is sold as a replacement part for high-end guitars such as the L-5 and S-400 would be formulated properly as to be nitro friendly, especially if you can find a "Gibson" branded part.

Some like to use felt washers under their strap buttons.

Yep I've been installing felt washers under my strap locks for about 5 years. Stew Mac sells them. Seems like a good thing to do. I've had no problems so far.

• 10 months later...

I'm not sure this matters but I believe the grommets/shockrings used with L-5,50's Les Paul Customs, and the 1958 Les Paul Specials were made of Neoprene and the ES models, Customs, and 1958 Les Paul Specials were all nitro lacquer finished in different shades with no finish breakdown or degredation caused by the direct contact between the nitro lacquer and the grommet. I removed the grommet from a 1958 Special that was crumbling at the point where the Switchcraft switch mounting nurlednut tightens against the grommet and was smashed and crushed breaking off of the face of the grommet. I found no finish lose under the grommet. The grommets can be found thru authorized Gibson dealers from Gibson parts or the Customshop.

How about a Les Paul poker chip? I may be mistaken but don't the rubber grommets require a bigger hole than the selector switch mounted directly to the top?

The poker chip may not be "accurate" but it does not seem to hurt the nitro finish and acts as a washer between the top and the knurled switch nut.

PS It does leave a "shadow" where the sun don't [sic] shine as the nitro ages.

Archived