Gibson Brands Forums

Nirvana

surfpup

Nirvana, to me, was a melodic punk band.

STP, Pearl Jam, the like, were better suited for the "grunge" label. I don't know what to call those bands, honestly.

While I've never really cared for Scott Weiland's voice, Dean DeLo is an unsung hero of his time. His rhythm work is outstanding (I like big chords!). He does for STP what Alex does for Rush: Makes the band sound huge. And his tone is big and ballsy yet clear at the same time.

Any rock band that came from Seattle in the early 90s was automatically connected with that "scene". Nirvana sprang from The Pixies, The Melvins, Black Flag, Flipper, etc. The Big 4 of grunge (STP, Pearl Jam, AIC, and Soundgarden) sprang from Mother Love Bone, Temple Of The Dog, Green River, as well as Guns N' Roses, and older bands.

So, Nirvana made punk more mainstream, and the other Seattle groups were just another category of rock.

I thought Temple was a Super Group formed from Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. I didn't know they were first, making the Temple album reunion, not a super group?

And I agree about Dean DeLo, he made STP sound interesting and uncommon. I still have a hard time making Plush sound like whatever chords he's playing. I've tried online tabs and watched his hands in live videos, nothing I do sounds like Plush. And I hate the way it siunds when a cover band uses the wrong chords, it's sounds.......wrong.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought Temple was a Super Group formed from Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. I didn't know they were first, making the Temple album reunion, not a super group?

That's because the Temple of the Dog album caught fire a bit after Pearl Jam broke (and Soundgarden's audience was growing at the same time) even though it had been recorded before Pearl Jam was really formed. That record was really Chris Cornell's response to the death of Andrew Wood, his roommate and the singer for Mother Love Bone. Naturally the record company pounced once Pearl Jam was huge, and a video for Hunger Strike was produced. Sales soared and everyone was happy.

And I agree about Dean DeLo, he made STP sound interesting and uncommon. I still have a hard time making Plush sound like whatever chords he's playing. I've tried online tabs and watched his hands in live videos, nothing I do sounds like Plush. And I hate the way it siunds when a cover band uses the wrong chords, it's sounds.......wrong.

You can thank his brother Robert(bass) for the interesting chords and melodies Dean uses, he's a highly intelligent musician. As far as Dean's sound he has a pretty awesome setup, VHT (now Fryette) 2/90/2 power amp with a demeter tgp-3 preamp (hard to find and pricey!) split to two Marshall 1960(i think, could be wrong) cabs ran in tandem with a top boost/6 AC30. Also uses a boss CE-1 stereo chorus and some other things I've forgotten. Some pretty useless information to most but I love his setup. I saw one of his AC30s burst into flames at a concert in Chicago, luckily he brought three of them. Massive, great sound live.

That sounds about right on Temple of the Dog, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament and Matt Cameron. Edit: Surfpup has a good explanation on them.

That's because the Temple of the Dog album caught fire a bit after Pearl Jam broke (and Soundgarden's audience was growing at the same time) even though it had been recorded before Pearl Jam was really formed. That record was really Chris Cornell's response to the death of Andrew Wood, his roommate and the singer for Mother Love Bone. Naturally the record company pounced once Pearl Jam was huge, and a video for Hunger Strike was produced. Sales soared and everyone was happy.

You can thank his brother Robert(bass) for the interesting chords and melodies Dean uses, he's a highly intelligent musician. As far as Dean's sound he has a pretty awesome setup, VHT (now Fryette) 2/90/2 power amp with a demeter tgp-3 preamp (hard to find and pricey!) split to two Marshall 1960(i think, could be wrong) cabs ran in tandem with a top boost/6 AC30. Also uses a boss CE-1 stereo chorus and some other things I've forgotten. Some pretty useless information to most but I love his setup. I saw one of his AC30s burst into flames at a concert in Chicago, luckily he brought three of them. Massive, great sound live.

That sounds about right on Temple of the Dog, Eddie Vedder, Chris Cornell, Mike McCready, Stone Gossard, Jeff Ament and Matt Cameron. Edit: Surfpup has a good explanation on them.

Thanks guys! [thumbup] I think I'll go learn plush the right way.

Archived