Gibson Brands Forums

How many pieces of wood in the LP Standard ebony 2007?

deekayman

Hi

I'm very interested in this coz I recently purchased second hand LP Standard 2007 chambered body in ebony colour.

I tried to take some photos to show it here but my camera just can't show those joints at the back of the body where is the

most visible that guitar body is made out of multiple pieces of wood !

It seems to me that it could be up to six pieces !!

Is this the common thing for 2007 Standard models finished in ebony?

Nothing new there, Gibson uses multiple pieces of wood in the backs, tops, headstocks and sometimes necks can be two and three pieces. If you're looking for one piece bodies your best shot is looking at SGs - Standards have their maple top glued to the back so that's at least two pieces right there. The most back pieces I've seen is three.

Having said that, there are Standards that hit the luck of the draw and have one piece backs.

Email Gibson customer service with that question. It's impossible for us here to say without being able to see the guitar. Personally, I don't think Gibson uses more then 2-piece bodies (meaning mahogany) on LP Standards.

BigK, all USA SGs can have multi-piece bodies. Historic reissues have single slabs of wood.

Hi

Gibson might use multiple pieces of wood quite often. Though the back of my 1958 reissue seems to be made out of one piece. :unsure:

What are your experiences concerning that question, are there any rules applicable?

Gun

Hi

Gibson might use multiple pieces of wood quite often. Though the back of my 1958 reissue seems to be made out of one piece. :unsure:

What are your experiences concerning that question, are there any rules applicable?

Gun

Mostly everything that comes out of the Custom Shop has a solid back. The Gibson USA line is where the multiple-piece bodies come into play. Usually standard models have one to two piece backs, and cheaper budget models can have more.

Mostly everything that comes out of the Custom Shop has a solid back. The Gibson USA line is where the multiple-piece bodies come into play. Usually standard models have one to two piece backs, and cheaper budget models can have more.

Yeah, but this is the LP Standard and they're not that cheap so I always thought that there would be 2-3 piece body maximum and not more than that in these models.

Pity my photos can't show those joints where the paint actually sink into the wood so those multiple joint lines are visible when you look at the body

under the lights.

But I have to admit that guitar sounds great with freshly installed Dimarzio DP196 Virtual PAF in the neck and SD'59 in the bridge.

Archived