Gibson Brands Forums

Question about gibson

Adriano Custodio

Hello, so, im planning to buy a gibson, and i got 2 offers right now.

They are stated below.

Gibson LES PAUL STUDIO 50s TRIBUTE HUMB BAG SATIN HONEY BURST

Gibson LES PAUL 59s w/ CASE

So, a guy told me, "gibson 50's suck", so i need some opinions.

The gibsons 70's are better then 50's ?

What is better ? 50's ? or 59 ?

Hello, so, im planning to buy a gibson, and i got 2 offers right now.

They are stated below.

Gibson LES PAUL STUDIO 50s TRIBUTE HUMB BAG SATIN HONEY BURST

Gibson LES PAUL 59s w/ CASE

So, a guy told me, "gibson 50's suck", so i need some opinions.

The gibsons 70's are better then 50's ?

What is better ? 50's ? or 59 ?

What kind of condition are they in?

I am not sure what two guitars you are trying to describe.

One is a LP Studio and the other is a Standard '59 Reissue?

I don't think any Gibson LP sucks. Some are better than others but to say they suck is just wrong. You get what you pay for. A '59 Reissue is a beautiful guitar and quite expensive. Can you be more specific as to what models you are looking at and what the asking price is?

I also do not think any era is bad just that some decades were more consistant in quality than others.

Well, im from Brazil, so lets talk about my money...

The gibson 50 is costing for me about R$ 3.800,00 and the 59 is about R$ 3.700,00

Well, a guy that i trust a lot said that the gibson lp 50's dont have a nice sound compared to a lp 70's.

Both of them are brand new. It is true that gibson 50's isnt as good as gibson 70's ?]

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Special-70s-Tribute.aspx (this is the 70's im talking about)

I got an offer of a gibson 70's (same as the website for R$ 3.800,00)

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-50s-Tribute.aspx (this is the 50's)

The 59 i cant find it on website, looks like this http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/50th-Anniversary-1959-Les-Paul-Standard.aspx

Hi Adriano, your question is a tough one to answer Gibson make a wide varenty of models from the Studio to the very expensive Custom Shop Collectors Choices

From that band said by BTD I Gather where looking at the various "Studio" Models

The 50's have a Fatter 50 neck with P90's / Humbuckers

The 60's have a Thinner 60 neck with P90's / Humbuckers

& the 70's are a recent release of 60 neck with Mini Humbuckers made to the size of P90's

I personally own the a 60's P90 with Dark Back

Their good guitars, the neck is a preference thing and depends on your hand size & what your comfortable with. Its true you sustain a little more, but the draw back is a heavier neck.

Hi Adriano, your question is a tough one to answer Gibson make a wide varenty of models from the Studio to the very expensive Custom Shop Collectors Choices

From that band said by BTD I Gather where looking at the various "Studio" Models

The 50's have a Fatter 50 neck with P90's / Humbuckers

The 60's have a Thinner 60 neck with P90's / Humbuckers

& the 70's are a recent release of 60 neck with Mini Humbuckers made to the size of P90's

I personally own the a 60's P90 with Dark Back

Their good guitars, the neck is a preference thing and depends on your hand size & what your comfortable with. Its true you sustain a little more, but the draw back is a heavier neck.

If you needed to choose between the 50, the 59 and the 70, what would you choose ?

The 50 and the 70 are golden, and the 59 looks like yours.

If you needed to choose between the 50, the 59 and the 70, what would you choose ?

The 50 and the 70 are golden, and the 59 looks like yours.

If it is a "Standard/Traditional" its a no brainer, HOWEVER these models are the most commonly counter fitted so you have to be careful especially in the price range here.

PS the 70's aka the "Norlin" era has its gems like the "maple" neck Custom but I can't think of much else

Gibsons "Golden Age" for Les Pauls was Late 1958 to 1961 when production stopped for 7 years

Everyone here has pretty much asked the right questions or given the right answers, but just to clarify one thing:

Regarding the "59" you refer to. There are MANY different models the Gibson makes or HAS made that look like the guitar you posted from the Gibson site.

It looks like the better deal, but which specific model, how old, and wether or not it is actually genuine are what matters. So, pictures of the actual guitar, or specific info on what it actually is would allow for an opinion.

There is no model just called a "59".

Archived