Gibson Brands Forums

1930s Gibson Advanced Jumbo

nerts

I have a 1930s Advanced Jumbo I inherited from my dad in the ninties. I recently removed the bridge pins prior to getting some repairs done and managed to lose the pins. I am ordering replacments however, I don't know if the original pins were ivory, bone, or plastic. Does anyone know what material the original 1930s AJ bridge pins were made of??

I have a 1930s Advanced Jumbo I inherited from my dad in the ninties. I recently removed the bridge pins prior to getting some repairs done and managed to lose the pins. I am ordering replacments however, I don't know if the original pins were ivory, bone, or plastic. Does anyone know what material the original 1930s AJ bridge pins were made of??

My guess is it won't be plastic....although plastic or polymers were available in the early 1900's. It'll be interesting to see what one can find on the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the guitar looks pretty good, but it's hard to know without a first-hand inspection. As far as bridge pins go, a lot of people here use bone pins from Bob Colosi. Price and service are excellent. I have his vintage dyed bone pins in all of my Gibson flat tops (Martins, too). They don't photograph very well, but here's one set as an example. He also does plain white bone if you don't like the vintage look. He will email you digital photos of all his in-stock pins in your size, as the stock changes constantly, and each set is different.

Highly recommended, and if you don't like them, you simply replace them with something that suits your taste. It's a great way to experiment.

colosipins.jpg

Archived