Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help Identifying ES-175

Jbpunjabi

Hello Everyone,

My father left me with ES-175. I have spent almost last two hours trying to figure out the manf. year, but now I am really confused..:)

Here are the details

ES-175

Orange Label inside the guitar which says model number

Serial num : 37041

Made in Kalamazo...

Please help..:)

Hello Everyone,

My father left me with ES-175. I have spent almost last two hours trying to figure out the manf. year, but now I am really confused..:)

Here are the details

ES-175

Orange Label inside the guitar which says model number

Serial num : 37041

Made in Kalamazo...

Please help..:)

According to the Guitar dater (which isnt always right)..

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

approximately in: 1917

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

Or you can email Gibson customer service with the serial number and pics of it and they will confirm.

Hope that helps :)

According to the Guitar dater (which isnt always right)..

Your guitar was made at the

Kalamazoo Plant, USA

approximately in: 1917

http://www.guitardaterproject.org/gibson.aspx

"Guitar Dater" strikes again! Why would you even post that info, you had to know it was completely ridiculous....., didn't you?

That serial number comes up from 1961.

"Guitar Dater" strikes again! Why would you even post that info, you had to know it was completely ridiculous....., didn't you?

That serial number comes up from 1961.

I think you are right..but this is what bothering me..I went to home.provide.net website and read all about the gibson serial numbers and here is what i found

1. Orange oval label with number preceded by an "A": Jan 1955 to 1961. The first orange label number, A20001, was used on a F-5 mandolin 01/13/55. The last orange label "A" number was A36147, used 2/21/61. Note the "-" after the "A" was dropped for the orange labels.

2. Orange oval label with number matching number on back of headstock (number range 100 to 999999): 1961 to 1969. "

Now I do have orange label which satisfy the first condition. But my serial number doesn't start with "A". In second case I have orange label with serial number not starting with "A" but i dont have any matching number on back of headstock.

Do you know of any other website where I can find more info about it? what are your thoughts?

I think you are right..but this is what bothering me..I went to home.provide.net website and read all about the gibson serial numbers and here is what i found

1. Orange oval label with number preceded by an "A": Jan 1955 to 1961. The first orange label number, A20001, was used on a F-5 mandolin 01/13/55. The last orange label "A" number was A36147, used 2/21/61. Note the "-" after the "A" was dropped for the orange labels.

2. Orange oval label with number matching number on back of headstock (number range 100 to 999999): 1961 to 1969. "

Now I do have orange label which satisfy the first condition. But my serial number doesn't start with "A". In second case I have orange label with serial number not starting with "A" but i dont have any matching number on back of headstock.

Do you know of any other website where I can find more info about it? what are your thoughts?

The best way is to email Gibson customer services... they are usually pretty good and you should get an answer in a few days..

Send them the serial and some pictures

I think you are right..but this is what bothering me..I went to home.provide.net website and read all about the gibson serial numbers...

Here is the part of the provide.net webpage you should have looked at:

Gibson Serial Numbers, Feb 1961 to 1970.

All models, stamped in back top of peghead. No "MADE IN USA" stamp below serial number! Note many serial numbers are duplicated from 1963-1969. In these cases, to figure out which is the exact year for a guitar, see the General Specs section for more details. ALSO note: It is easy to confuse 5 digit and 6 digit serial numbers from this era, and hence get the wrong year for a guitar. That is, 55555 is not the same number as 555555 (but when reading the number off the back of a Gibson peghead, these two numbers do look very similar!)

Range Year

----- ----

0100 to 42440 1961

42441 to 61180 1962

61450 to 64222 1963

64240 to 71040 1964

71041 to 96600 1962, a few from 1963/1964

96601 to 99999 1963

etc...

Archived