Gibson Brands Forums

New Collectors Choice.

CowboyBillyBob1

The answer is in the link text -

"Gibson Custom is proud to announce the release of Collector's Choice™ #6 1959 Les Paul #9-1918. This rare and highly prized 1959 Les Paul Model is an extremely clean original example, and exhibits many of the most desirable traits of 1958-1960 Les Pauls. "I call it my 'Number One' or 'Desert Island' guitar because it's by far the best guitar I've ever owned, held, or heard," says Mike Slubowski, owner of the original 1959 Les Paul."

The text also says: "This rare and highly prized 1959 Les Paul Model is an extremely clean original example, and exhibits many of the most desirable traits of 1958-1960 Les Pauls."

Of what famous guitar is this one a replica of?

Hi Hecube. nice to see you here again.

It's not a recreation of a famous guitar - it's a recreation of a particuliarily excellent ('choice') original 'burst owned by a Collector. Hence the term 'Collector's Choice'.

There was a brief thread about it last week in the lounge.

Encouraging my own laziness I'll just cut-n-paste my two posts here...

Yup. Nice.

I don't know how different it will feel from any other R9 but it's still nice.

I like how they've used aniline dyes. Perhaps it will fade in the manner of the original 'bursts?

As it says in the blurb, that's a recreation of one of Mike Slubowski's guitars.

Just for the sake of comparison here's a snap of the original from his section in the Les Paul Forum;

1959_Gibson_Les_Paul_Standard_Burst.jpg

It's not easy to tell from the pic of the new one but it looks like they've managed to select maple with nice grain as well as having subtle figure.

P.

(on the subject of Mike Slubowski's collection)...

Just his Les Paul collection is enough to make my eyes water - he has original examples of '52, '53, '54, '55, '56 and '57 Gold-Tops; '58, '59 and '60 'bursts and on it goes.

Add this to all the vintage semi's and subsequent releases - the man has not one but two signed 'Beano' guitars, for example - and it's far too much to take in at once.

I think there are currently 241 guitars in his showcase.

For those interested in his extraordinary, and varied, collection, this link sort of works. Click on it, then choose 'Guitars' from the left hand menu. Next page has 'Mike Slubowski' top name, left of centre.

http://www.lespaulfo...es/frameset.htm

P.

Wow. Thanks for posting that link. Pure Awesomeness! I spent probably 1.5hours this morning looking at all of the guitars while getting ready for work.

I was a little surprised that no 339/359's and only one 336, I think.

Great collection.

Archived