Gibson Brands Forums

SG PRO?

shakey64

Sold my trusty SG400 few months ago...needed the cash for another axe. Well , the new axe and me didnt bond...so now missing my SG. I went online and see a new version came out since I had previously purchased mine...called the SG PRO. Better pickups?? so i read....and coil tapping. Never used the coil tapping before..but just by upgrade pickups..Im interested. I guess the old sg400's will be dis-continued. Anyone here, had the chance to play both and offer an opinion?

Others may reply who know better shakey but as far as I'm aware (I only found out about the Pro very recently) the Pro was a "one off" special. The main difference was the plus flame top. I didn't think the pups were any different except for the coil tap option which would be a bonus.

I don't think the Epi Alnico pups are all that bad really but they are not in the same league as original gibbos or seymour duncan or any number of other quality replacements.

The G-400 Pro is the new "standard" G-400. It does indeed replace the prior G-400.

You can see the G-400 Pro here:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/SG.aspx

and the G-400 on the discontinued list here: http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Out-of-Production.aspx

Many of the discontinued models listed have simply been replaced with upgrade "Pro" models, which have the new ProBucker pickups (Epi's version of BurstBuckers) and coil splitting.

I've not tried them yet, but word so far on the ProBuckers is that they are very good.

We got them in at the store ... an ebony, a white, a cherry and a STUNNING Pelham Blue!

They are nice. All four needed a setup badly, but played well after it was done. The Burstbuckers sound very nice in these guitars both in humbucker and single coil settings. The biggest difference I noticed on this model was the neck: it is not the wide, flat profile you've come to expect on a SG. These necks are a CHUNK!

Now I don't find that a problem at all ... in fact, I prefer it, but YMMV. I would suggest trying to play one first if you're interested. Good stuff though, and a nice upgrade to the series.

Jim

Archived