Gibson Brands Forums

Byrdland Bridge adjustment

Maestro Vibratoer

Contrary to what some people around here will tell you.... as long as the guitar intonates properly there is no right or wrong (especially with a floating bridge).

The way to tell if it has inadvertently been flipped at some time is by the saddle grooves. If the high E string sits on top of the big groove, and the low E sits on a narrow groove, you've got a problem (easily corrected). It is also possible that the base has been flipped. Gibson handcarved bridge bases will be labelled on the bottom with the serial number of the guitar for which it was carved, and the orientation "B" (bass side) and "T" (treble side).

Contrary to what some people around here will tell you.... as long as the guitar intonates properly there is no right or wrong (especially with a floating bridge). ....

The intonation screws are mounted high on an ABR-1 bridge. If the screw heads are pointed at the tailpiece, the strings could contact the screw heads depending on how steep the break angle is over the saddles. As Larry says, not so much a problem with a trapeze. With an adjustable stop though, some players like the break angle sharp, if the screws are facing the stop the strings can contact the screws when the stop is adjusted low.

p90tune.jpg. Bridge.jpg

I've not seen any markings on a archtop base. Mine doesn't have any (it's original but granted a '66) and I've not seen it on the handful of others I've ever looked at. Perhaps they do that on the new bridge bases.

Let's see some pics of your Byrd!

I've not seen any markings on a archtop base. Mine doesn't have any (it's original but granted a '66) and I've not seen it on the handful of others I've ever looked at. Perhaps they do that on the new bridge bases.

Let's see some pics of your Byrd!

Gibson shipped me back a repaired guitar from which they had removed the bridge and packed it in the case pocket--they had neatly taped off the location of the bridge and the base of the bridge was marked B & T in pencil. Not sure if I've seen it otherwise, but then again it's not something I've ever looked for. It's easy enough to figure out without the markings.

As to the OP, while it probably doesn't matter which way you face the screws as long as the strings don't contact the screw heads, I've never gotten a guitar from Gibson that had the screws face the tailpiece, so I'm pretty sure they are supposed to face the neck.

Danny

It seems that the bridge must have been reversed at some point. The intonation screws facing the tailpiece don't bother me so i'll just leave it alone. As I mentioned the bottom of the bridge had a "made in Germany" inscription (Kluson?), nothing else. The pickups are patent No. (inscription also). One interesting thing: I removed the pickguard, and the rout is slightly larger, on the treble side, than the pickup (small gap where the route is visible). At first I thought that there might have a larger set at one time, but a friend told me that that was probably Norlin era Gibson attention to detail. Having said that this guitar sounds heads and tails (acoustically) above anything I have (including ES335, Johnny A, Gretsch Steve Stills). Included is a really bad picture (taken by the dealer that sold it to me). It actually looks much better. Will try and post more when I get the time. The guitar is a 1978 model. Thanks.

post-3590-043258700 1351011770_thumb.jpg

As noted, doesn't really matter provided the saddles are fully seated and the screw heads don't contact the strings. Nice guitar, post some pictures!

Screw heads don't affect the strings. Was thinking of throwing a Bigsby on her but the tone is so nice, I hate to mess with it. Will post more pics in the coming days. Thanks.

Archived