Gibson Brands Forums

Not a Fair comparison but.....

iwalktheline

ok, so I realize there is no real comparison here but I wanted to give my view. I traded my epiphone hummingbird for an epiphone ej-200 because I never touched the epiphone bird since I have the gibby. I had a ej-200 before and thought it was a pretty good guitar, so I wanted to try another since I will probably never own a gibby 200. I got her on Wednesday and for almost 2 days she was all I played. I just wanted time to see how she felt and sounded by herself. Pretty sweet looking guitar by the way. But, right off the bat you can obviously tell the cheaper wood being used here compared to Gibson. So, today i brought out my dove first and in all honesty the dove blew her away which was a bit surprising to me considering its a norlin gibby. But, I knew once I brought out the hummingbird it was going to kill it all together and it did. Now, I realize that I'm going to have to take the epiphone in for a set-up and some upgrades(bone-nut&saddle) but this guitar sounded like total **** compared to both gibsons. By herself, she sounded great. Not as powerful as I would want but she still sounded really good alone. So after this I just wanted to go online and see what others have said about the ej-200. I found a lot of positive reviews which is fine but I found it very disturbing that I also found a lot of people who say the the epiphone ej-200 is almost as good as the Gibson version. That has to be totally impossible. I have never played a gibson version but, I can only guess that it has a killer sound. These people have to be on drugs to say that. Its ok to say its a good guitar, which it is but to say that there is almost no difference between the gibson and epiphone is baffling to me.

I owned one about 20 years ago and have played many. Found them very, very variable, from ones that I almost took home to quite a few that were utterly lifeless. But they can sound good if you get the right specimen, but Gibson they aint.

I don't think you'd ever find an ej200 that sounds as good as a "good" Gibson J200. However, you might find a Gibson J200 that sounds close to an ej200 if you get what I mean. I've played a LOT of J200's over the years and some are magnificent, while some are just so-so. The so-so ones still sound superior to an ej200 but not by much.

Those who say the Epi J-200, HB or whatever are as good sounding as the Gibson versions have probably never been closer to that Gibson than some guitar store catalog. About the only recent Epi I have ever played that I thought gave a Gibson a really good run for its money was the dicontinued Blues Master. That is probably why it was taken out of production.

With Epis (as really with all guitars) though you just need to judge them on their own and not how they compare to this or that instrument.

Congrats on the enjoyment you seem to be getting from your guitar. If you really think it's as good as a Montana made Gibson model, more power to you, you've saved yourself many thousands. Getting people to agree with your comparison of the two is the hard part though, I must confess to having my doubts. All the best.

Archived