Gibson Brands Forums

Identification help: 56' ES125 with a Little Twist

JazzMeister

Hello all!

I'm normally a Fender guy (beware), but recently picked up what I was told is a 1956 Gibson ES125. I play through an old Vibroverb, and once I plugged the guitar in I just had to have it.

However, I've been looking at other ES125s, and mine is a little different, and wanted to figure out exactly what I have, hence this thread!

The serial number inside the body reads: V6658-15.

My concern lies in the neat little 'music note' cover on the headstock and the bigger pearl inlays. All of the older ES125s I've seen have had dot inlays and do not have the headstock piece aforementioned.

The case feels as old as the guitar, and was told that it was indeed original too, but again, am not sure.

IMG_3688.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3694.jpg

IMG_3701.jpg

IMG_3704.jpg

IMG_3708.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

Thanks all!

not an expert here, the one thought I had was on the truss rod cover, my guess would be that is not original and someone either had it made, or found it from something else, thought it was cool and used it.

As for the peal inlays, are you referring to the inlays in the fretboard?

not an expert here, the one thought I had was on the truss rod cover, my guess would be that is not original and someone either had it made, or found it from something else, thought it was cool and used it.

As for the peal inlays, are you referring to the inlays in the fretboard?

That was what I was wondering as well. And yes, I was referring to the fretboard inlays. Thanks for your thoughts thus far!

• 3 months later...

That was what I was wondering as well. And yes, I was referring to the fretboard inlays. Thanks for your thoughts thus far!

I am having the same questions, I just inherited a 1956 Gibson, told to me, to be a es125. My grand father actually bought it in Germany while serving in the us army. When I brought it to a guitar shop they said it had all of characteristics of an Es125 exempt the pearliod trapezoid inlays. He told me that Gibson has been very inconsistent over the years and it is very likely that during that specific batch or during a period of that year they may have decided to through that on there instead of the typical dotted inlay. It sounded kinda fishy to me but I am no expert and have heard of Gibson inconsistency over the years especially in there serial and fon number system. The fon of my Gibson is v4945-30 which is a little more than 1000 off from yours. All I know is it has been driving me crazy trying to figure it out. The only es I have seen with the pearl inlays that is similar is the es-130 and or the es-135. If you have heard anything since your last post please let me know.

Archived