Gibson Brands Forums

Help Dating Vintage Es-125

robroy

Hey robroy, You have a fine original example of a late 40's ES-125. The clear barrel knobs, the non-adjustable pole P-90, tapered headstock and tailpiece design are indicators of that.

Furthermore, I bet it has a flat back of mahogany as well as the top being mahogany also! Get a flashlight and look inside of the F-holes for a FON #

The earliest 'post-war'125's (1946) had these features. It is a little different than the ES125's that followed. Finding a # could help pinpoint the year. I had one of these in the 90's. Mine was very 'punchy' and the P90 sounded awesome. The pickup is rather rare and unique to these early 125's. SWEET [thumbup]

Thanks for quick response retrorod.... not having any luck finding a FON, unfortunately. Just getting it down to the late 40's is a help though. thanks!

I know I lucked out finding this one....The more I play it, the more I love the tone..... the woodiness and the P-90 is wonderful.

thanks again. Robert

The back and sides are definitely mahogany and the top may be too... I always had assumed the top was some laminated spruce, but it's hard to tell beneath the sunburst.

Just look at the edge grain of the top in the f-holes. Laminated tops are almost always three-ply, and the 90 degree change in grain direction is usually obvious.

Thanks retrorod! I'm fortunate to have two late 40's Lg-2s as well. This is my only electric. I'm learning to get some nice tone out of her and I know it'll keep getting better.

I'm playing through a reissue Les Paul G5 that I mic into my pa when I play live.

Thanks again for all the input!

• 1 month later...

I am trying to narrow down the year my beloved Es-125 was built. I think but am not sure that the tuners are replacements but all else I believe to be original.

Thanks for your input! IMG_0436.jpg

IMG_0435.jpg

IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0440.jpg

IMG_0441.jpg

I have an all mahogany one with trapeziods and an arched back-- 1947 or 8 i think - love the slug P-90 !

I have an all mahogany one with trapeziods and an arched back-- 1947 or 8 i think - love the slug P-90 !

If it has trapezoids that probably would have been an ES 150 [Not the Charlie Christian version, but the second postwar version]

I have been wrong before though!

For the ES 125 of 12 I say definitely a 48 or 49 not later than that because of the slug pole pieces

Edit: I take that back, the 150 is a 17 inch kind of hard to mistake it for 16 inch

Archived