Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SQ-180 vs Billie Joe Armstrong Signature 180 ?

timx1386

Just wanted to see if anyone out there had played these models, what opinions were of them.... and if by any chance someones played both - how do they compare?

I have heard great things about the Everly Epi, not sure what the major differences are between it and the Billie Joe Sig. I know I'd have to assume the Gibson, made in USA, must have better build quality and woods? But as a whole, are they comparable or do they just have similar pickguards?

Thanks in advance!

Ain't played any of them but as a rule of thumb you need to judge Epiphones on their own merits and not how they compare with their Gibson kin. All in all, Epiphones are great for what they are. Only your own ears and fingers (and pocketbook) will be able to help you decide which one to ocme home with.

Ain't played any of them but as a rule of thumb you need to judge Epiphones on their own merits and not how they compare with their Gibson kin. All in all, Epiphones are great for what they are. Only your own ears and fingers (and pocketbook) will be able to help you decide which one to ocme home with.

Thanks for the response! .. I think i should rephrase that question though..

I figured they wouldn't be "same guitar, different brand" or anything like that. But I can certainly say I've played some Epi's that just didn't cut it- wasn't sure if anyone could testify to these late 80's early 90's "signature" model acoustics as to where they fell in the quality spectrum (sound-wise or build-wise) .....feel like a toy? sound decent?

I also finally found some specs somewhere that said the nut width is different on them - so I'd have to assume they have other differences too.. still curious if anyone else has any info

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

I have the same question. I just purchased an '89 Gibson J180'. It will arrive in a week or two. I just stumbled across an '86 Epi version of that guitar for a song. I was thinking of picking it up as an alternate tuning backup. I'm wondering if it will sound like a toy and not be useable. I have two Gibson J45's, a 68 and. 2008. My writing partner loves the 68' but to me it sounds like half the guitar of the 2008. There's nothing better for a writing session to have several acoustics handy, open G, DADGAD, a 12 string, one capo'ed and tuned to 5.... It really keeps things moving to have all those options handy.

Does anyone know if the ' open book' headstock 86 SQ 180 is laminate or solid wood?

The Epi SQ180 and Gibson J180 are quite different, I have an '88 Epi SQ180 and a 2012 Billy Joe 180, and also had a few later SQ180's with Don's sig on the headstock. To start with the nut on the Epi is smaller, not sure if that is the same as the original 1960's Everly Gibson J-180, but not so good for picking or big fingers. The Epi is obviously a cheaper model and the double pickguards not the same material as the Gibson, they are more of a plastic, but the sound is not too bad. Action is a bit high even with the saddle reduced as much as possible. I tuned mine down a semitone.

I don't know how the structures vary but I suspect they will be different. Here is a run down of the Epi

• 1986-2000 & 2002-2004 & 2006

• Maple body with select Spruce top

• Set Mahogany neck

• Rosewood fingerboard with star inlays

• Body and neck binding

• Symmetrical custom flame tortoise shell pickguard

• Body & neck binding

• Rosewood bridge base

• Chrome hardware

• 15.5" body width

• 24.75” scale

• 1.65” nut width

• Ebony finish

Headstock:

• Open-book style 1986-1990

• Clipped-ear 1991-2000 & 2002-2004

• Elongated traditional 2006

Headstock Inlay:

• Epiphone By Gibson logo 1986-1989

• Epiphone scripted logo with crown inlay 1990-2000

• Epiphone modern logo with crown inlay 2002-2004

• Epiphone 1960's style logo with crown inlay 2006

Hope this helps.

Bob

To start with the nut on the Epi is smaller, not sure if that is the same as the original 1960's Everly Gibson J-180, but not so good for picking or big fingers.

I believe though the nut width on the OPs '68 Gibson would actually be a hair narrower than the Epi. I may be wrong but think the Gibsons made that year had a 1 5/8" or 1.625" nut while the Epi has a 1.65" nut. So if he can deal with the Gibson the Epi should be no problem.

Archived