Gibson Brands Forums

A day in Chicago

Riffster

Going to Chicago for the day later this month.

Early flight departs at 6:00am and return flight is 9:55pm. That puts us in Chicago roughly from 8am to 8pm.

People I know do it all the time, here is why:

Southwest Ailines round trip ticket on sale $135 (this can come up on sale as low as $106)

Chicago CTA Train/Bus pass for one day $5.75 (already oredered online, since they do not sell this pass there)

Full day economy parking at Nashville Airport $8.00

So for under $150 all transportation cost is covered, no hotel, no luggage.

Questions for those of you in the area:

- Is there a cool record store that I should visit? I am talking extensive new/used vinyl selection?

- Are we going to freeze to death that time of the year?

- I have been to Chicago Music Exchange are there any other cool musical instrument stores?

Sounds like a great day trip plan. The flight between Chicago and Nashville is pretty quick. Reckless Records at 3126 N. Broadway has a lot of vinyl. If you're downtown you can catch the Red Line train up to Belmont, then walk east a few blocks to Broadway then south to Reckless. They've got a store in the Wicker Park neighborhood, too, but I think this one has a bit bigger selection. Chicago Music Exchange is very cool. Much smaller, but also cool, I think, is the Different Strummer at the Old Town School of Folk Music at 4544 N. Lincoln. No Gibson stuff but a lot of Martin, some Fender, Gretsch, Guild, etc. As you'd expect, a lot of folk-type instruments, but some electric, too. And the people there are great. And if you happen to get there you might enjoy crossing the street to the new Old Town School building on the other side of Lincoln and checking out the glass panels along the main stairway with images from R. Crumb's Heroes of Blues, Jazz and Country music series that he allowed the school to reproduce at no charge. Lots of good little taverns and places to grab a bite around there if you're looking for someplace, too.

Sounds like a great day trip plan. The flight between Chicago and Nashville is pretty quick. Reckless Records at 3126 N. Broadway has a lot of vinyl. If you're downtown you can catch the Red Line train up to Belmont, then walk east a few blocks to Broadway then south to Reckless.

If you're downtown I would recommend taking the Brown line to Belmont. Although the Red is ten minutes faster, it's mostly underground and your fellow passengers will be more interesting. Just thinking of you sticking out as out of towner; constantly looking at the transit maps. The Brown line will take you up through River North, Old Town, past the skeletons of Cabrini Green, and into Lakeview. Very scenic. If you hit the Reckless on Broadway, stroll down two blocks to Crisp for some Korean fried chicken. My wife's cousin, Jae Lee, runs the place. Get a whole Seoul Sassy and a Bad Boy Buddha.

Permanent Records in Ukrainian Village is another great record browsing option. They lean more indie since the owners run a label on top of the shop.

Weather wise, like Windmills said, it's a crap shoot. I would bring a sweater, jacket, hat, and light gloves. If it's warmer you can remove layers, but chances are someone from that far South will think it's freezing up here.

Music stores - There are a lot. Make n' Music is super high end. I don't think they carry one bargain item from guitars to amps to pedals. They are in this no mans land between the West Loop and West Town so you'll be cabbing it there. Also check out Rock and Roll Vintage up in Lincoln Square; right off the Brown Line Western stop (that's really close to me). While you're in Lincoln Square you have to stop at the Brauhaus for a liter of beer and some authentic German food. Laurie's Planet of Sound record store is in Lincoln Square too. It's small and they deal a lot in garage and psych music.

Thanks guys, I will have to take notes and make sure I make the most of the day, I also have to take into consideration the friend I am going with but hell, he's got 4 kids, I am sure just being away will be absolutely awesome for him.

And yea, I have used the red line, with luggage and all, the mix of people is totally different when you go north in a different line.

Last time I was in Chicago my wife and I went to the Humboldt Park area to try a Mexican restaurant, we took the bus, later that evening somebody at a bar downtown told us we were crazy for doing that, like really crazy.

Last time I was in Chicago my wife and I went to the Humboldt Park area to try a Mexican restaurant, we took the bus, later that evening somebody at a bar downtown told us we were crazy for doing that, like really crazy.

That sounds alarmist. My old boss has owned a house in Humboldt Park since the mid nineties and it ain't that bad. Yeah, some pockets are/were gang central, but the nice thing about most gang activity (outside of Englewood and Austin) is that it is gang on gang. They could care less about you.

So, how was the restaurant? Chicago has great Mexican food.

It didn't look like Disneyland but I didn't feel unsafe.

The hole-in-the-wall restaurant was great, somewhat different from the standard Mexican fare, the place is called Cemitas Puebla, saw it on the Food Network.

The owners are from Puebla, Mexico and food from that region is very good.

I would like to go to Rick Bayles restaurant but I hear is not easy to get in.

Archived