Gibson Brands Forums

Help

Fergus12

My newly aquired Epi Les Paul needs constantly re- tuning.

Its only very slightly on each string apart from 1 or two. Is this a intonation problem?

Usually this type of problem (assuming it's not new strings stretching) is a mismatch between the string gauge and the nut slots. If the slots were cut for 10 gauge and now the stings are 11 or more, then the slots prevent the string from sliding freely as you fret, and especially when you bend notes. The string gets drawn a little through the slot as you play and then catches there instead of sliding back into it's original position in the slot.

Try some graphite in the slots. You can get white graphite at a good guitar shop. That won't darken the nut. Or buy a product called "Nut Sauce".

Or you could try a set of lighter gauge strings. If either of these solve the problem, then you are free to decide if you want to get a new nut cut for the gauge strings you prefer.

The problem could be the tuners themselves, but usually it's this strings-nut slot mismatch.

Cheers,

Doug

Thanks Doug

Yes i can hear a ping on a couple of strings when tuning.

Will get it checked out.

Cheers

Wayne

Take a piece of 150 grit sandpaper and fold it (you may have to fold over twice for the heavier strings). Now run it lightly through the string slot in the nut a few times - until the string no longer bind in the slots. Don't put much downward pressure so as not to cut the slots deeper. This should do the trick if the strings are binding and the chances of ruining the nut are slim to none - Good Luck.

I find running a piece of guitar string (of appropriate gauge for each slot) back and through the slot a few times after scraping some pencil lead dust into the slot usually does the trick.

Probably wouldn't work if you are going from 9's to 13's but works fine if going up a couple of gauges.

I find running a piece of guitar string (of appropriate gauge for each slot) back and through the slot a few times after scraping some pencil lead dust into the slot usually does the trick.

Probably wouldn't work if you are going from 9's to 13's but works fine if going up a couple of gauges.

Good tip, Wiggy. Thanks. BTW, I used to live not too far from you, in East Molesley on Beauchamp.

Cheers,

Good tip, Wiggy. Thanks. BTW, I used to live not too far from you, in East Molesley on Beauchamp.

Cheers,

Until I was 13 I used to live in Worcester Park and my best friend at the time lived in Hurst Road, just up the road from you.

Small world isn't it!

Archived