Gibson Brands Forums

J-200 strings

frenchie1281734003

I have just purchased several sets of Gibson J-200 strings to use on my super jumbo`s, and have thought about trying them out on my non "Macca" Texan too. Does anyone here use them on other guitars apart from J-200`s, and with what results?

Steve.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the J-200 strings and the regular Masterbuilt Premiums is the silk-wound ball ends on the J-200's. I have used them on my J-45, but find no difference in tone or playability compared to Masterbuilt Premiums.

As far as I can tell, the only difference between the J-200 strings and the regular Masterbuilt Premiums is the silk-wound ball ends on the J-200's. I have used them on my J-45, but find no difference in tone or playability compared to Masterbuilt Premiums.

this is the answer! i love those strings

That's what I believe, too, based on my experience with both types.

Red 333

I think other than the Ph.Br which many strings are..its just about the wound ends in cloth to maybe buffer the strings digging into the bridge cause of shallow string angle.

I vaguely remember my old Dove was like that too

My thinking exactly. Either that, or to reduce the possibility of string buzz associated with the really shallow break angle because of the bridge design.

So I went ahead and put a set of 13 gauge (Medium) J-200 strings on my 2004 Macca Texan, and I really like the tone the guitar now has. The only problem I have though, is with the low "E" string, it is a .056 and with the Purple(Silk) winding at the ball end, it seems to sit a bit tight in the bridge pin slot, which forces it up somewhat when I tune up. I made the bridge pin slot a bit deeper & wider, but it`s still not ideal.

Does anyone have a simple solution?

Steve.

Archived