Gibson Brands Forums

What do pre 1950 LG2's go for these days???

onewilyfool

My final thought for me on this EA, being the negative a'hole that I am; should you ever get your hands on an LG1 to play, note the absence of any bass response, and ask yourself how long will it be before it ticks you off enough to regret throwing a thousand bucks at an instrument missing an important dynamic. I wouldn't compare a J45 to the sound of the LG2 or 3. Believe it or not, the smaller guitar is actually louder but not as harmonically blended when full light/medium strumming. My dopey opinions...

Oh, thats good to know JT, thank you for that. So what is the difference between an X-braced LG-1 and LG-2 ?

Which begs the question, when do you expect the 'reissue' LG-1 to arrive from Montana, that could be interesting ?

John Thomas makes a good point. When you said LG-1, I was not sure which LG-1 you were talking about -- the mahogany top 1942 or the spruce top 1959.

John (or perhaps Willi Henkes) is actually the one who discovered trhat these 1942 built, x-braced, triple bound LGs were called LG-1 at all. The two well known dealers who had them at one time were calling them "mahogany topped LG-2" because of the X-bracing (the later and much more common LG-1s are ladder braced) and LG-3 because they were plain tops. John was able to cross the FON to the name in the Gibson shipping records and discover this short lived model designation -- just as Lynn Wheelright did for the "Trojan.". But John is right -- there are too few to hope to find them.

The ladder braced LG-1s have a nice tone for blues to my ears, at least if you like the sound of the early blues players -- very percussive and thumpy. The problem with those guitars is many of them have pretty large bridgeplates, which reduces their power. The same can be said for late 50s and early 60s LG-0s.

Here is the bracing on the 1959 LG-1

59LG1plates.jpg

A couple of ladder braced vintage Gibson built 30s small "blues" guitars with no power problems are the Kalamazoo KG-14 and KG-11. To my ears, they are perfect old blue boxes. In the picture below, the "Carson Robeson" on the back row is actually private labeled KG-11 and the one in the center is a KG-14. Here are some old recordings of of our KG-14 and KG-11.

Zoos.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Thanks for all the info guys....I'm posting the pics the guy finally sent me.....lol....looks like someone took a hammer to the top. His verbal description was "stable professional luthier crack repair"....lol....needless to say, I will pass on this one....good info and again thanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109038728813601508557/GibsonLG2Pre1950?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLeGwKqw5u70Aw&feat=directlink

Thanks for all the info guys....I'm posting the pics the guy finally sent me.....lol....looks like someone took a hammer to the top. His verbal description was "stable professional luthier crack repair"....lol....needless to say, I will pass on this one....good info and again thanks!

https://picasaweb.google.com/109038728813601508557/GibsonLG2Pre1950?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLeGwKqw5u70Aw&feat=directlink

Yikes! You aren't missing anything by passing on that one. Talk about misrepresentation!

Wow...it looks like it was dropped. The only pic he doesn't have on the link is the bottom just below the break.

I think, to me at least, there is a big difference between a split top from age or shrinkage, and "damage". Even if they are both fixed.

But aside from that, it MIGHT still be a fantastic player and sound great. So, if the price was right?

Wow...it looks like it was dropped. The only pic he doesn't have on the link is the bottom just below the break.

I think, to me at least, there is a big difference between a split top from age or shrinkage, and "damage". Even if they are both fixed.

But aside from that, it MIGHT still be a fantastic player and sound great. So, if the price was right?

Looks to me like something was dropped on it, like a hammer. Who knows what the braces are like? Knock $1000 off the asking price for that damage, at least.

Oh, thats good to know JT, thank you for that. So what is the difference between an X-braced LG-1 and LG-2 ?

Which begs the question, when do you expect the 'reissue' LG-1 to arrive from Montana, that could be interesting ?

The Banner LG-1 is simply a mohagany topped LG-2 with a non sunburst finish. As Tom points out, Willi Henkes and I discovered their existence.

The reissue is supposed to be unveiled at NAMM in LA in January.

Archived