Gibson Brands Forums

Buddy Holly J 45 Demo

JuanCarlosVejar

Thanks for posting this. I had the guitar built for Graham Nash but first used it on a bit of a promotional tour in support of the organization I co-founded, the Buddy Holly Guitar Foundation. which is now called the Buddy Holly Educational Foundation. I took the to clear Lake, Iowa to the annual event at the Surf Ballroom, the location of Buddy's last gig. There I gave a talk and shared the guitar with Sonny West. I also recorded this short (poor quality) video while there.

In September 2011, in conjunction with the unveiling of Buddy's star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame (and event that I helped to organize) I gave the guitar to Graham Nash, who was performing at this concert, for which I served as a consultant.

You can read my article about the concert here: Not Fading Away.

My Buddy experience was an outgrowth of work on Banner Gibsons and began when Christie's auction house asked me to inspect Buddy's original guitar;

JohnwithBuddysGuitar1.jpg

You can read more about the foundation, my commissioning of replica guitars, and my use of the original frets to Buddy's guitar here.

I just found a couple of pics of Graham with the guitar:

Grahamwithguitaratcurtaincall.jpg

Grahamwithguitaratcurtaincall2.jpg

This was a very special night for me. I met Graham earlier in the day to give him the guitar and then served as consultant for the concert production.

Here you see, roughly right to left, Raul Malo, Boz Scaggs, Graham Nash, Gabe Saporta, Paul Anka, Victoria Asher, Waddy Wachtel, Chris Isaak, producer Peter Asher, Michelle Branch, Lyle Lovett, Shawn Colvin and Patrick Stump.

I just found a couple of pics of Graham with the guitar:

This was a very special night for me. I met Graham earlier in the day to give him the guitar and then served as consultant for the concert production.

Here you see, roughly right to left, Raul Malo, Boz Scaggs, Graham Nash, Gabe Saporta, Paul Anka, Victoria Asher, Waddy Wachtel, Chris Isaak, producer Peter Asher, Michelle Branch, Lyle Lovett, Shawn Colvin and Patrick Stump.

Some pretty heavy hitters in that photo, JT.

Some pretty heavy hitters in that photo, JT.

Nick,

Indeed! An incredible few days in LA for me. I also needed a guitar to present to Phil Everly but my lutheirs were behind schedule (argh!!) so I took James Burton to the Hollywood Guitar Center to pick out a guitar for me (we're standing behind his hand prints and plaque):

28b68d57.jpg

He chose an AJ, which I then fitted with the custom leather cover and presented to him along with Buddy's widow, Maria Elena Holly:

BuddyHollyconcertJohnRowlandpics244.jpg

Amazing stuff JT

good read on the frets and the story about them and where they are going/gone too. Was it your idea to place them in the 18 guitars ?

nice one JC for OP also.

Del,

Thanks! Yes, that was my idea. I designed a plaque which I had the Gurian company produce. Then, I personally installed the frets in the plaques and installed the plaques in the guitars where a label would otherwise be placed. Here's one of the first, which bears a well-worn fret:

TrueLoveWaysFretPlaqueAllFrets.jpg

Archived