Gibson Brands Forums

First try with lights on the AJ

JohnnyReb

Well at the advice of MR Aussie, I slapped a set of lights on my AJ for the first time. I don't recall ever using lights on a guitar other than my dads old Kay Archtop or obviously my electric guitars. I'm a sucker for big volume and power so lights have never been in my tool box. I've been pondering the theory of how larger gauge strings can choke a lightly built guitar and actually restrain it in some ways.

So.....I've spent around 10 mins with them so far and they are great! The AJ is a loud guitar as we all know and so far I can't tell any loss in volume whatsoever. To be honest I'm not quite sure it isn't louder. Maybe this choking effect has some merit to it ( in this particular case). The guitar seems more free to move, almost as if I took the chains off. One huge huge difference is string tension. I've never had trouble with mediums on my Martins in regard to tension, but my AJ has always felt really tight. The lights are a huge improvement in playability and tension. Also I seem to have improved sustain and that rosewood overtone. It's really like the lower tension has released some tone I didn't have before. I can tell a difference on my low E and A string though. There is a little less BOOM from them I guess from the reduced gauge. Well, they still boom but just a hair thinner of a boom.

So I guess this is a success so far. I'm really pleased with the change. Of course that's subject to change but I feel pretty good about it. I think I have gained some tone and volume by reducing the tension( not that I need more, but the more the merry'r) A little more time will tell.

Hey,

What do you guys consider lights? 12's? I went in to my local music store a few month back and asked him for 80/20's lights. He gave me some fender coated strings, when i got home i realised they were 11's, they actually sounded really nice, i thought they'd be thin and weedy but they sounded good.

These lights are 12-53. Elixer nanoweb 80/20. I quit using elixer some time ago but I came back to give the lights a try. They sound spectacular. Aussie.....I know you hate them but I suggest giving them a try on the AJ in the future.

I spend most of the night with them and now that its morning I think it's safe to say I'm still happy with them. The boom in the bass started to come back and loosen up after some break in time. I can conclude it is a little louder and the overtones are more present than with the mediums. It seems the reduced tension has freed the guitar up to really portray itself. If I thought it was hard to sing over before I suppose I'm in real trouble now.

Lesson learned for other folks......putting lights on your AJ will NOT tame it down. If anything it will get wilder

These lights are 12-53. Elixer nanoweb 80/20. I quit using elixer some time ago but I came back to give the lights a try. They sound spectacular. Aussie.....I know you hate them but I suggest giving them a try on the AJ in the future.

NEVER [rolleyes]

Oh well that's a shame. They sure do ring out when fingerpicking the blues \:D/

I suspect thats more becasue they are lights than Elixirs.

Im familiar with Elixir 80/20's, have em on my Songwriter, but thats mainly because I dont want to change them often, and most likely will sell the guitar to my lead guitarist and he can only use Elixirs as he has toxic fingers.

I'll give you the Pepsi challenge Johnny, give the Elxirs a go and then try to Martin SP 80/20's and see how they compare and come back with your findings.

I've used them before accept they were mediums. Very nice sound for about a week., and those were lifespans. I cannot stand dull strings on a Gibson. That dead thud is nails on a chalkboard to me. I been using some Martin SP PB for awhile because they were free. They lasted quite a bit longer but too dark on the AJ. I've never used light SPs so I may take you up on it next string change. But I suspect the nice sound will be very short lived

And you know as well as I do what happens with a string on a songwriter(or anything else) is a different world to what it does on a AJ

It's relative, hate to say. If you finger pick with lots of grip on the strings, 12s aren't lights, but mediums, even heavies. There was just no playing, say, Mississippi Blues on my Martin with 12s. It took 11s to get the feel and the proper "purchase" on the strings. For pure strummers, I suppose that even 13s could be considered light, but not if you're cross picking Delta blues like, say, Candy Man or Truckin Little Baby. They require grip on the string rather than beautiful volume.

Honestly, give how powerful and responsive the AJ is by nature, this is absolutely no need for mediums (13's) as youre getting all the volume you need just from the construction of the guitar.

12's deliver all that you need and feel, plus make playing more comfortable.

I suspect thats more becasue they are lights than Elixirs.

Im familiar with Elixir 80/20's, have em on my Songwriter, but thats mainly because I dont want to change them often, and most likely will sell the guitar to my lead guitarist and he can only use Elixirs as he has toxic fingers.

I'll give you the Pepsi challenge Johnny, give the Elxirs a go and then try to Martin SP 80/20's and see how they compare and come back with your findings.

I tried that one..in PB ..Martins felt stiffer than Elixers.

Archived