Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - '11 R9

crosstownblues

After much consideration, I traded for a used '11 R9 VOS in washed cherry. This one is lucky #7 (9 1007) and comes in at 8 lbs. 2 oz. It's not as red IRL as in the pix, but it's a good representation. Came with black custom case, all the candy, COA, etc. I had the opportunity to play several used R9's, from '06 to '11, as well as some NOS '11 R9's. A new gloss R9 in Iced Tea was visually stunning, but too fat sounding - if such a thing is possible. This R9 was probably the lightest of the bunch, but also had a clearer, more articulate, and snappy tone than the others. Touch sensitive and responsive, wonderful when clean and appropriately aggressive when distorted. I'm happy to have taken the plunge! Since it's still the honeymoon phase, I haven't had the urge to mod yet - though RS Superpots and PIO caps may be installed in the near future, as well as Faber locking studs.

post-44655-059594500 1355374382_thumb.jpg

post-44655-042814500 1355374383_thumb.jpg

Welcome! Great looking guitar. RS pots and PIO caps will be a good upgrade.

PIO caps arriving Tuesday, and will be promptly installed! Had a chance to play the guitar in a club setting this weekend and was very pleased with the tone and playability. Got many compliments on the look, even more on the tone. Of course, I was using the classic combination of Marshall and Les Paul - how can you go wrong with that?

Next time out I'll try the TopHat. msp_tongue.gif

• 1 month later...

After much consideration, I traded for a used '11 R9 VOS in washed cherry. This one is lucky #7 (9 1007) and comes in at 8 lbs. 2 oz. It's not as red IRL as in the pix, but it's a good representation. Came with black custom case, all the candy, COA, etc. I had the opportunity to play several used R9's, from '06 to '11, as well as some NOS '11 R9's. A new gloss R9 in Iced Tea was visually stunning, but too fat sounding - if such a thing is possible. This R9 was probably the lightest of the bunch, but also had a clearer, more articulate, and snappy tone than the others. Touch sensitive and responsive, wonderful when clean and appropriately aggressive when distorted. I'm happy to have taken the plunge! Since it's still the honeymoon phase, I haven't had the urge to mod yet - though RS Superpots and PIO caps may be installed in the near future, as well as Faber locking studs.

post-44655-059594500 1355374382_thumb.jpg

post-44655-042814500 1355374383_thumb.jpg

Real nice axe!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived