Gibson Brands Forums

What would be the best pickup for my (New To Me) Epip Les Paul

EvoRider

Here goes. I have just traded for a 05 Epiphone les paul standard in ebony. I want to stay with Gibson pickups if possible. Mostely the style of music i play is classic rock, some metal, and some grunge. my gear is a Peavey stereo chorus 212 and i use a few different Boss pedals for classic rok i use a Modded keeley ds-1 and for metal i use a Boss MT-2 and i use other as needed. I think it sounds ok as is but i was interested in trying some different things for this guitar. Like i love the look of Black EMG's but dont want to fool with the active style pickups because i dont really want to change everything on the guitar. That is why i would like to stay with Gibson pickups if possible. Do they make a Black cover for their pickups? Any ideas? and i dont want to spend a fourtuin.

Here goes. I have just traded for a 05 Epiphone les paul standard in ebony. I want to stay with Gibson pickups if possible. Mostely the style of music i play is classic rock, some metal, and some grunge. my gear is a Peavey stereo chorus 212 and i use a few different Boss pedals for classic rok i use a Modded keeley ds-1 and for metal i use a Boss MT-2 and i use other as needed. I think it sounds ok as is but i was interested in trying some different things for this guitar. Like i love the look of Black EMG's but dont want to fool with the active style pickups because i dont really want to change everything on the guitar. That is why i would like to stay with Gibson pickups if possible. Do they make a Black cover for their pickups? Any ideas? and i dont want to spend a fourtuin.

You have a very hard list of requirements to address. If active pickups are out and not investing much is also required, I'd recommend trying to find some used pickups on one of the auction sites. I'm partial to Gibson Classic 57's but I don't consider them a low cost option.

You can generally find Gibson's 490r/498t pickups on Craig's List, various forums, and sometimes eBay used for ~$100 and occasionally less. I think I've seen a set of Epiphone Elitist 50sr/60st pickups (USA-made pickups for MIJ guitars) on eBay for $95.

I marginally prefer the 490r/498t over the Classic '57s for a bit more high-end clarity; the Classic '57s sound like a 490r/498t set with the tone knob turned down to 7 or 8. The point is, to a lot of people (myself included), they're really not that far apart.

Well i may have messed up i traded for a Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 pro Humbucker. Bridge position sounds great for classic rock but not much on metal. I guess i will have to stay with my Ibanez RG for metal and my new les paul for classic rock. The Seymour pickup does have a nice sound . I think some better than the stock epiphone pickup. The only prob with the seymour duncan is a Zebra model so i just had to ordered the maching neck pickup. if anything it will look cool with my LP.

A set of Bare Knuckles pickups would give your Epi enough crunch and output to blow a Burst Bucker equipped Gibson Les Paul right out of the water.Then again the pups that came with my Epi Trad. Pro Les Paul are fabulous-they have a real honest to goodness PAF tone that has to be heard to be believed plus they have the added feature of coil tap.I can't quite remember what they're called though.

if you're not "locked in" on Gibby p'ups, you could get a set of GFS(Guitar Fetish) Crunchy humbuckers in modern "hot" wound format, AND a set in either Texas, or Vintage wound for the price of one pair of Gibby p'ups.

I have a set in an SG and they're as good as anything i've heard, for half the cost of most.

I have found out the name of the great pups that they use on the Epi Traditional Pro and L.P. Standard PlusTop Pro and they're called the ProBucker.I was so totally blown away by them when I got my Trad Pro that I emailed Jim "Epi" Rosenberg-CEO of Epiphone division-and told him how incredible I thought tha pickups sounded and how the pups on my Trad Pro had a tone identical to the tone of Robert Fripp's PAF L.P. on King Crimson's first album-on songs like Epitaph and I Talk to The Wind.He promptly answered me confirming what I had heard and what I thought of the tone.He told me that their goal was to create a pickup with the same tonal signature as the old PAFs-they certainly succeeded in doing that-I'll never swap out the pickups of mine-unless of course I find an actual set of vintage PAFs.

Archived