Gibson Brands Forums

epi dot neck

1998StandardSG

I have an Epiphone Dot that has a really fat neck on it. When I went to the store I played three Dots and they were all the same... but different. One had a 60s neck, another had a 50s neck with white binding (the one I bought) and another had a 50s neck with white binding and black pin stripes to separate the binding from the wood. They were all your standard Epiphone Dot guitars and were all cherry finish. Is this just inconsistency from over seas manufacturing or are these options? My tuners are grover and the pickups are both 57ch. If that means anything.

I have an Epiphone Dot that has a really fat neck on it. When I went to the store I played three Dots and they were all the same... but different. One had a 60s neck, another had a 50s neck with white binding (the one I bought) and another had a 50s neck with white binding and black pin stripes to separate the binding from the wood. They were all your standard Epiphone Dot guitars and were all cherry finish. Is this just inconsistency from over seas manufacturing or are these options? My tuners are grover and the pickups are both 57ch. If that means anything.

I was specifically refering to the binding. The fat/slim profile could be down to the factory it was produced in. I've had a few debates on the neck profile of the DOT - the one I own is basically a "C" shaped neck maybe just slightly beefier than the Fender types I own. I also own a '67 SG which has a MUCH fatter ("D" shape profile) than my DOT. Good Luck

I was specifically refering to the binding. The fat/slim profile could be down to the factory it was produced in. I've had a few debates on the neck profile of the DOT - the one I own is basically a "C" shaped neck maybe just slightly beefier than the Fender types I own. I also own a '67 SG which has a MUCH fatter ("D" shape profile) than my DOT. Good Luck

I thought the "D" neck profile was thinner than the "C". :-k

I thought the "D" neck profile was thinner than the "C". :-k

No, a "D" shaped profile is deeper than a "C"... Flip the D 90 degrees to the right (clockwise) - the flat side represents the fingerboard. Now flip a C 90 degrees to the left (counter-clockwise) and draw a horizontal line through the center of the arc - this line represents the fingerboard. See how shallow it is compared to the D ?... That's the difference [wink]

I love my new DOT's neck. My LP has a very narrow neck and the DOT's is just what I was missing! I do a lot of fingerpicking (blues) and it's so easy to hit the mark on the wider neck. Not a problem on Metal power chords or a lot of Classic Rock Barre chords but playing "down the neck" (open chords) is now so easy - like some acoustics I owned back in my folk days (60's).

also bought a small Mustang I at the same time for headphone practice even though I have 4 other amps. I really like the little Mustang and with the FUSE software it's so easy to set up s new preset or download one and write it to the amp's many slots available in the Fender Library on the web. also like the USB connectivity - can be used as an actual interface for recording.

Archived