Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Catch Eddie Trunk's Rush Special?

kaleb

Eddie Trunk did a three-hour Rush special (with special guest Mike Portnoy, who is the absolute definition of a Rushian. He has rare bootlegs, some of which were played tonight, and is friends with The Professor himself!) on his show, "Friday Night Rocks", on New York's channel Q104.3 (which I get thru the Internet). Highlights were a half-hour long phone interview with Alex Lifeson (unfortunately, his phone cut out a few times. On the lighter side of things, it was nice to know how he spends Christmas time, and how he feels about the whole R&RHOF thing), and the rare airplay of songs like "Jacob's Ladder", "The Body Electric", "Stick It Out", "I Think I'm Going Bald", the live version of "In The End" from All The World's A Stage, and the rare (or not-so-rare) live cut of "A Farewell To Kings" from Different Stages . Also, he dipped in to Portnoy's personal bootleg collection and found a rare performance of "Circumstances" (from the Hemispheres tour in Detroit, 1978), Rush's first single, a cover of "Not Fade Away" (released in 1973), and a song that was never released on an album or even recorded called "Garden Road" (live from Peart's 9th show with the band in August of 1974. It rocks! Kinda has a bouncy Sabbath-type flavor to it. It also makes Alex a liar, as he said they have no extra songs during the interview). They started with "2112 Overture/Temples Of Syrinx" and ended with "2112 Grand Finale" (which was cool cause' it was all ending as the clock hit midnight over here!).

It was great. I'm also looking forward to the Merry KISSmas special. It also looks like Eddie and Mike are gonna do a covers special.

I would like to point out that Mr. Portnoy is the biggest Rush fan I've ever heard of (he said this last tour is the first he's missed since Signals, plus all of that bootleg material, and all of the information that flows out of his mouth during the broadcast), and he knows more about the band than the band.

I listened to something on Friday about Rush's new remastered 2112 album. It ended around 9:00PM EST. Don't know if this is what you are talking about though. One interesting note was at the end of the 2112 the lyrics are "Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation: We Have Assumed Control." I, as well as many others, really didn't know what that meant. According to Neil Peart it was the "good guys" taking over the Solar Federation. So, the end is actually a happy end to the ordeal.

I listened to something on Friday about Rush's new remastered 2112 album. It ended around 9:00PM EST. Don't know if this is what you are talking about though. One interesting note was at the end of the 2112 the lyrics are "Attention All Planets of the Solar Federation: We Have Assumed Control." I, as well as many others, really didn't know what that meant. According to Neil Peart it was the "good guys" taking over the Solar Federation. So, the end is actually a happy end to the ordeal.

Thanks for clearing that up Rocketman, I always thought it was the Priests that "Assumed Control".

Archived