Gibson Brands Forums

Cheaper SGs?

iankinzel

Hi all,

I've been playing guitar for about 12 years, and electric guitar for about 2 years. When I went electric, I started on an Epiphone LP - low cost (in case I wanted to go back to acoustic), decent instrument; I'm at a point now though where I feel like I'm ready to move on to something that can be taken seriously as a professional instrument.

Instead of moving up to a Gibson Les Paul, I'm thinking of going for an SG; I use a capo a lot, occasionally (but not often) as high as the 8th fret, so the upper fret access is really important to me. The SG also strikes me as being an extremely comfortable instrument to play - no awkward bolt-on neck joints like on Fender models, nice and lightweight compared to an LP...

However, while I'm able to fork over $400, $500, up to about $750 or so for an instrument, I'm not at a point yet when I can lay down a grand or more for a guitar. I've seen a ton of used Gibson SGs used for as low as $350, generally in the ~$500 range - but, I want to know if the SG Special/Studio/Worn models are going to be at that respectable, professional workhorse level that I'm after. I have absolutely zero doubt about the SG Standard, for example, but I've heard conflicting reports about budget-level Gibsons. (Also, the local shops only seem to stock the more expensive models, so I haven't had a chance to try out the cheaper ones...)

Any input is welcomed and appreciated. I'm also considering an early '80s Ibanez Artist, pending a response from the seller (cracks in the finish - do they go further down, or not?)

IMHO, for what that's worth..."Professional Grade" intruments abound! Epi's are certainly in that

league. The problem is more in "brand" identification, than in practical quality terms. Sure, there

ARE differences, between Epi, and Gibson. But, not as much (again, IMHO), as their price differences

would seemingly indicate. The Japanese made Epi's being the upper end, along with the limited edition

USA versions, that are produced, now and then. But the Chinese and Indonesian Epi's can be/are often

outstanding instruments, as well. Point being..."professional" use, is simply any guitar, that's used

in a "professional" capacity. You see Danelectro's on stage, all the time...bolt on neck, and all.

So...any guitar, that YOU like, well enough, to play out, in a professional situation, will be just fine!

Don't let the "brand snobs" dictate to you, what a "professional" guitar is. Within your price range,

there are quit a few choices. Gibson, or otherwise. SG's are terrific guitars, all around. Go out,

play as many as you can find, in your comfortable price range, and I'm sure you'll find "The One!"

It's really the only way to do it...and NOT by "mail order!"

But...that's just my 2-cent's worth...so, take it as just that.

Good Luck, in your search! [thumbup]

CB

Hi Ian

You talk of mixed reviews of so-called "low end" Gibson models. Personally, I wouldn't pay too much attention to what people say on internet forums. Most of what we all say really is a way of justifying to ourselves that we have made the right purchase. In that regard you could jump straight to my final paragraph below, if you like.

The fact is that a lot of Chinese and Indonesian made guitars are getting better and better from a consistency point of view but that most are made from cheaper woods and with cheaper hardware. These are perfectly fine for most people and many tend to upgrade hardware and pickups to improve their tone and tuning stability etc. Indeed, manufacturers have cottoned on to this and now make pre-upgraded guitars with better hardware and electronics as stock but they still can suffer slightly in their choice of woods. My view is that this wood compromise affects playability and "feel" in many cases but, being electronic pickup bearing instruments, it makes little or no difference to tone or sound.

Now Gibsons come in two qualities: Gibson USA and Gibson Custom shop. The fact here is that all Gibson USA models (so the vast majority of Gibsons sold) are made on a production line using the same level of woods, hardware and electronics........'course they do- it's a production line! They are fine instruments and represent what a lot of people aspire to in the classic styles that are available and also in the resonant tone afforded by their construction. The difference in price across the Gibson USA range is reflected in the time taken to craft the guitar and, to some extent, the grade of wood used. For example, a Les Paul Faded Studio (or Tribute) comes in cheapest because it employs few of the more time consuming production methods involved. The full gloss studio will cost you another few hundred because of 6 or 7 more layers of nitro lacquer which takes a lot of extra time to spray and dry, plus the additional cost of hardshell case over gig bag. The next instrument up is the Traditional with its thicker maple cap, inlayed Gibson logo and time consuming body and neck binding which adds another few hundred to the bill. This is followed up by the Traditional plus with its higher grade "flame" maple cap. Finally the Standard has the highest grade maple cap and, usually, the latest innovations from Gibson adding on another couple of hundred. The maple caps are purely aesthetic choices but they add quite a bit on because they are sourced and selected. However, all these Gibson USA guitars are well made production instruments. Custom shop is the place where the hand selection and hand finishing occurs and this adds a significant cost to the bill meaning they are usually the preserve of the professional player.

I think all USA made production instruments, regardless of brand, fall in to the above "Gibson USA" standard and quality and make a fine purchase for most. So do a number of Japanese made guitars and, to a lesser extent, Korean made guitars (the latter of which still offer very good craftsmanship but might not have the same quality of woods and hardware as their Japanese and American made counterparts.)

This is my take on the whole quality thing. I think most of us generally kid ourselves to some extent but the fact is that any American or Japanese made electric is going to be a pretty good purchase that will give you many years of service and will help you play better from the off. How much you spend on a production USA or Japanese instrument in general depends upon how much extra pretty "bling" you like. I personally tend not to go for the bling but perhaps kid myself a little in justifying that I don't need it because of my standard of playing. Would I like the bling? Well yes, of course I would (apart from neck binding which I don't like the feel of) but I guess I kid myself that I don't really like/need it. I s'pose I could sell a few guits and consolidate my herd with more expensive versions but I happen to also like having a few different types of instrument to pick up and play....

What I would advise you to do is go out there and play a few of these different levels of instrument but to make sure you look closely at the woods, hardware and craftsmanship and also concentrate on the feel of the necks. Make the decision for youself on what makes a difference to you and on what you really like/feel you need. If you do like your pretty guits you may never be satisfied until you get youself a Gibson LP Standard but if you're more of a player or just a plain pragmatist, you may be very very happy with a faded studio in either SG or LP format. I am suprised that your local store doesn't carry any tributes or fadeds because these instruments sell very well. Maybe that's why there are none in stock - they are fantastic value. Perhaps you should expand your serach a little to give you that chance to play one...

Thanks for the input, Alan and Charlie. I went ahead and took the plunge on a Gibson SG - the Studio '70s Tribute model in black satin with mini humbuckers. I was thinking about going for the standard model, but realized that I liked the mini humbuckers better (and the '70s Tribute was a couple hundred dollars cheaper too - go figure!).

The only real complication is that I've recently moved to a town without a decent guitar shop, so I had to call the shop in my home town to see if they still had the SG I was looking for. I remember part of the serial number, so it was a match - the very guitar I'd tried out a couple weeks ago and was so impressed with. I'll keep you all posted on how things go once the SG arrives.

Thanks for the input, Alan and Charlie. I went ahead and took the plunge on a Gibson SG - the Studio '70s Tribute model in black satin with mini humbuckers. I was thinking about going for the standard model, but realized that I liked the mini humbuckers better (and the '70s Tribute was a couple hundred dollars cheaper too - go figure!).

The only real complication is that I've recently moved to a town without a decent guitar shop, so I had to call the shop in my home town to see if they still had the SG I was looking for. I remember part of the serial number, so it was a match - the very guitar I'd tried out a couple weeks ago and was so impressed with. I'll keep you all posted on how things go once the SG arrives.

Glad you gor yourself sorted, Ian. Can't wait to see your HNGD thread...

I have a 60s tribute SG with bare knuckle p90s and 2 early 80s Ibanez artists, of course they are different animals cause of p90s vs HBs and the construction diffs.

All in all i´ll say, you can´t go wrong with either, the artists are great instruments with their own character and top notch quality, they are quite heavy, about the same as a Gibson LP. So if the weight is an issue, choose the SG!

Archived