Gibson Brands Forums

Gloss chipped off around sound hole?

Crunch Enhancer

If this is normal, I will let it go. But I just got this guitar from Sweetwater last week and noticed the nitrocellulose/lacquer is chipped off several times right around the sound hole.

I emailed them and they told me to call the tech guys with the problem, who knows what they will tell me. I dig the guitar and dont want to exchange it for another one, but am wondering if it could possibly be fixed.

Here are some pics of how it looks, mind you this is really only noticeable when looking down at the guitar while playing...unfortunately this is how you play a guitar and it can be seen lol.

defect2_zpsd14b24a1.jpg

defect3_zpsb707c75b.jpg

defect1_zps21f3fcc7.jpg

Is this normal or should I do something?

Steve

Obviously, it shouldn't have come like that; it's not "normal". Since Sweetwater has a no-hassle return/exchange policy, you can take advantage of it, if you choose. But, since you seem to be adverse to an exchange, you can probably touch it up with a bit of clear lacquer. Or just leave it as it is, since it's a minor aesthetic flaw that doesn't affect the guitar otherwise.

Oh, and by the way, it's not nitrocellulose; it's urethane.

Urethane! thanks. Wasn't sure. What would you do if you received it like this>?

Crunch

Unusual on a new guitar, but they all get nicked and scratched over time, just like the players, and some think it adds character.

Plus you say you really dig this guitar; to me that's the most important part. If I love the way a guitar feels and plays, I don't care about surface wear.

Every instrument is different, and you may replace it with one with a more perfect finish but might not enjoy as much.

Like Joe said, you can touch it up, or leave it as it is.

As long as it's not seriously damaged, and you enjoy playing it, then what's a few scratches.

Just my personal take on it, because music and instrumetns are very personal things, and I can really love a guitar, warts and scratches and all, if it plays and feels great to you.

I'm right with the other guys.

It's the instrument's feel and, to an extent the output. If it feels "right," even the output will be "right" even though there are some folks who get really "up" about "tone."

Regardless of skill set, once the fingers are a bit worn in, a guitar that feels right to a given player will play that much better. What feels best may change over time - but not because of the guitar's finish.

m

I have DR500MCE for about 6 months. It did not come with those flaws and so far has not developed them. Such flaws however are relatively common on Masterbilt models as they were made overseas, and cutting costs and quality control is probably the reason. I have seen this flaw on others including my MB AJ500R, around the sound hole. I chose to keep it as its tone and sound was wonderful, still it should not be there. I would have a hard time living with it if it were in several places around the sound hole like yours is, and I would probably send it back. If you do that, they will make sure you get an unflawed one the second time. Don't worry, most all MB DR500MCE guitars sound great..mine definately does, and I played 3 before I bought it. They were all excellent in tone. So your next one probably will be too, but it will be without flaws that you will be forced to live with. Good luck.

I have DR500MCE for about 6 months. It did not come with those flaws and so far has not developed them. Such flaws however are relatively common on Masterbilt models as they were made overseas, and cutting costs and quality control is probably the reason. I have seen this flaw on others including my MB AJ500R, around the sound hole. I chose to keep it as its tone and sound was wonderful, still it should not be there. I would have a hard time living with it if it were in several places around the sound hole like yours is, and I would probably send it back. If you do that, they will make sure you get an unflawed one the second time. Don't worry, most all MB DR500MCE guitars sound great..mine definately does, and I played 3 before I bought it. They were all excellent in tone. So your next one probably will be too, but it will be without flaws that you will be forced to live with. Good luck.

Do they ever repair these? Or do they simply scrap or refurb them? I like this particular one but i want the damage around the sound hole to be not there. If that means waiting for it to be sanded and re-glossed I would wait for it. I'm in no hurry.

Crunch

I own a DR500MCE..I do not believe the guitar can be repaired as the poly finish makes that highly expensive, almost as much as the guitar cost. It should be returned. Sweetwater had no business sending this to you in this condition. And I would not buy from them again. these can be bought online at Guitarcenter or musicians friend, and both will allow you to return it postage free and send you another. The marks around your sound hole are stain and poly defects from poor quality finish jobs done overseas. While the guitar itself is good, the finish is not.In fact the finish on my cheap $199.00 Epiphone is 100%better than on my $600.00 Epi MB DR500MCE. I had to send 3 DR500MCE guitar BACK before I found an acceptable finish. Musiciansfriend and Guitarcenter gave me no problem. You will likely even find one cheaper than Sweetwater who boast they send out perfect guitars. They do NOT. That is just their selling line. Musicians friend would have instantly taken off $80 to $100.00 on the price if it has the defects of the guitar Sweetwater sent you...and that is a fact. Send it back, and don't look back. Demand your money back. Then buy elsewhere online. You were taken advantage of by Sweetwater. Do not let them get away with it. Normal wear is one thing...sending out a guitar with multiple visual sound hole defects---without telling you about it prior to buying it, and without reducing the price in a major way is a disgrace. Sent it back...and I know you will find a better one elsewhere. Don't be discouraged by it. These things happen...you will find a better one without defects...and it may well play EVEN BETTER than the one you have. One thing is sure..it will not play worse. DR500MCE guitars are legendary for their sound...unfortunately, they are also legendary for their visual defects, but perfect ones do exist, and the ones that do, sound easily as good as a Martin or Gibson. Good luck. ---(My DR500MCE is on the far left of my picture...the $199 Epi on the far right....and a Rainsong black Graphite Dred in the middle)

Guitarlight, thanks for your response.

I did contact sweetwater about it and my salesperson told me to call the tech dept to schedule something like an exchange, etc. I just haven't called them back.

As for the customer service from them, I have been dealing with the same associate for the last 3 electrics and other various things I've purchased over a few years...and I get 15% off every guitar I order which beats guitar center every single time.

The guitar was on backorder from sweetwater and shipped to me the morning they got it in.

I told musicians friend (guitar center, zzsounds, etc) I wouldn't shop there anymore after they took advantage of people with false sales back in 2006 when I bought a les paul classic custom.

Crunch

I myself would never, ever buy a guitar with out playing it first! I also need to look it over real good. Send it back! Been dealing with Sweetwater for many years and they are good about taking things back, the only exception would be software that has been opend and installed.

I myself would never, ever buy a guitar with out playing it first! I also need to look it over real good. Send it back! Been dealing with Sweetwater for many years and they are good about taking things back, the only exception would be software that has been opend and installed.

I wouldn't have noticed the sound hole chipping even if I did play it in person. I played it a few times for over a week until I was like, wait what is this... and actually inspected it more closely and saw the finish was flaked off.

I bought quite a few guitars without actually playing them and have not been let down. I refuse to go into guitar center and that is all that is near my area, so I don't have much choice!

I own a DR500MCE..I do not believe the guitar can be repaired as the poly finish makes that highly expensive, almost as much as the guitar cost. It should be returned. Sweetwater had no business sending this to you in this condition. And I would not buy from them again. these can be bought online at Guitarcenter or musicians friend, and both will allow you to return it postage free and send you another. The marks around your sound hole are stain and poly defects from poor quality finish jobs done overseas. While the guitar itself is good, the finish is not.In fact the finish on my cheap $199.00 Epiphone is 100%better than on my $600.00 Epi MB DR500MCE. I had to send 3 DR500MCE guitar BACK before I found an acceptable finish. Musiciansfriend and Guitarcenter gave me no problem. You will likely even find one cheaper than Sweetwater who boast they send out perfect guitars. They do NOT. That is just their selling line. Musicians friend would have instantly taken off $80 to $100.00 on the price if it has the defects of the guitar Sweetwater sent you...and that is a fact. Send it back, and don't look back. Demand your money back. Then buy elsewhere online. You were taken advantage of by Sweetwater. Do not let them get away with it. Normal wear is one thing...sending out a guitar with multiple visual sound hole defects---without telling you about it prior to buying it, and without reducing the price in a major way is a disgrace. Sent it back...and I know you will find a better one elsewhere. Don't be discouraged by it. These things happen...you will find a better one without defects...and it may well play EVEN BETTER than the one you have. One thing is sure..it will not play worse. DR500MCE guitars are legendary for their sound...unfortunately, they are also legendary for their visual defects, but perfect ones do exist, and the ones that do, sound easily as good as a Martin or Gibson. Good luck. ---(My DR500MCE is on the far left of my picture...the $199 Epi on the far right....and a Rainsong black Graphite Dred in the middle)

I'd give Sweetwater a chance to make it right. They are supposed to have a bullet-proof reputation for customer service. I am actually dealing with them now about an order I placed for a hounddog dobro back in November which still isn't in yet (not their fault) and they have been 100% professional about it. When I bought my DR500MCE from Guitar Center, I asked them to check the instrument over carefully for dings and cosmetic flaws before I picked it up. They told me over the phone that they had checked it but the box was still sealed when arrived at the store to pick it up.

I'd give Sweetwater a chance to make it right. They are supposed to have a bullet-proof reputation for customer service. I am actually dealing with them now about an order I placed for a hounddog dobro back in November which still isn't in yet (not their fault) and they have been 100% professional about it. When I bought my DR500MCE from Guitar Center, I asked them to check the instrument over carefully for dings and cosmetic flaws before I picked it up. They told me over the phone that they had checked it but the box was still sealed when arrived at the store to pick it up.

I emailed the tech dept. a few days ago and am awaiting a response!

A Sweetwater tech offered me a $50 refund back on my credit card if I wanted to keep the DR, or an even exchange for a more carefully inspected DR.

I opted for the latter since $50 wouldn't even cover a shop to repair the defect in the urethane. They over-nighted me a new one but I was at work today and it had to be signed for...re-scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Not too bad of an ordeal IMHO, shipping for another via fedex overnight was still free and shipping back to them is prepaid as well.

Crunch

A Sweetwater tech offered me a $50 refund back on my credit card if I wanted to keep the DR, or an even exchange for a more carefully inspected DR.

I opted for the latter since $50 wouldn't even cover a shop to repair the defect in the urethane. They over-nighted me a new one but I was at work today and it had to be signed for...re-scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Not too bad of an ordeal IMHO, shipping for another via fedex overnight was still free and shipping back to them is prepaid as well.

Crunch

I think that was a good decision...let us know how the new DR500MCE turns out for you ok? I'm very interested as I have one that I just love, and hope you get a great one!

I think that was a good decision...let us know how the new DR500MCE turns out for you ok? I'm very interested as I have one that I just love, and hope you get a great one!

New one came today, I was a little bit disappointed but have come to the conclusion that these things are probably never going to be perfect when coming from china. You get what you pay for sometimes!

The one that arrived today did not have any gloss chipping around the sound hole but there was a slight chip in the wood right at the same spot a bit underneath on the high e side. It really cannot be seen as easily as the other but its there. It looks like they buff these things a bit too aggressively instead of taking their time and this causes chipping in the finish as well as the actual wood.

I was OK with that but also noticed 3 black spots (pieces of dust or something?) are permanently on the top like they were finished over. The other top looked flawless (besides the sound hole thing obviously) but what can you do, I'm just going to keep the second one and live with it. They both play and sound identical. Also the second one is more of a honey color than blonde like the first :/

Thanks for everyone's advice.

P.S. the bridge saddle on the second one is thicker and sits straight up whereas the first one seems slightly too thin and angles towards the neck.

Crunch

Crunch...You could always send the second one back...I sent THREE of these back till I got a good one...and I would have sent THIS one back had I not been satisfied. I know you don't care for MF or GC, they they are good for ordering 3 guitars each and return. I was insistent on getting a good one both in play and visually..it was not easy. I also agree with previous statements that China is not at fault here..clearly it is Epiphone. After all, the Chinese can only do what Epiphone has them do....For the record.. I also had to send back THREE AJ-500M (Mahogany) models till I got a good one. And the AJ500R (Rosewood) model was the last one before they were discontinued, so I was forced to accept a bad sound hole defect of about an inch where the toner was missing entirely. I kept it as there were no more to order and it plays absolutely perfect with tone that matches my $3000 Martin Rosewood. I have what I need now...finally...after MANY returns and a lot of aggravation. I do not envy anyone trying to find a defect free Epiphone. It can take months, even years. yet all the Epi's I now have I love. But I would not go through this process again. I would just buy a different brand.

Crunch...You could always send the second one back...I sent THREE of these back till I got a good one...and I would have sent THIS one back had I not been satisfied. I know you don't care for MF or GC, they they are good for ordering 3 guitars each and return. I was insistent on getting a good one both in play and visually..it was not easy. I also agree with previous statements that China is not at fault here..clearly it is Epiphone. After all, the Chinese can only do what Epiphone has them do....For the record.. I also had to send back THREE AJ-500M (Mahogany) models till I got a good one. And the AJ500R (Rosewood) model was the last one before they were discontinued, so I was forced to accept a bad sound hole defect of about an inch where the toner was missing entirely. I kept it as there were no more to order and it plays absolutely perfect with tone that matches my $3000 Martin Rosewood. I have what I need now...finally...after MANY returns and a lot of aggravation. I do not envy anyone trying to find a defect free Epiphone. It can take months, even years. yet all the Epi's I now have I love. But I would not go through this process again. I would just buy a different brand.

I wanted the following:

1) Dreadnought style electric

2) All solid woods (no stratabond crap necks, no laminate sides/backs etc)

3) Under $1000 but preferably in the $700 range.

The DR fit the bill and had extremely positive reviews. Every guitar in that range is a non-US made guitar. Solid wood martins/taylors start at what, $1500 at least?

This was a gift from my parents mind you, the $700 range seemed decent as a gift. Hell the Martin I'll eventually get is over $2,000.

I just feel really shitty costing a company like Sweetwater all this hassle over minor things that they really don't have any control over, this is an Epiphone/Gibson family QC problem.

I emailed both companies simply stating I was disappointed. The stupid pepper dots are not very noticeable on the second one to most people but I can see it.

Everyone who has looked at the guitars thinks I am crazy, but none of them own or even play one lol.

Crunch

Okay, maybe I'm coming from too much of an old man's perspective - which I can't help, given that I'm an old man - but I think "perfection" in an instrument is almost chasing an impossible dream regardless of provenance.

Anything that has natural components such as wood, and that has human beings working with those components, cannot be "perfect" any more than a painting by one of the old masters is "perfect."

I just did a piece on a sculptor whose work is in bronzes. He said his biggest "need' is for somebody to tell him to quit messing with a piece and let it go. His work is gorgeous - but at some point he has to say it's as "perfect" as it's gonna get. The purpose is communication, and his pieces do it quite well.

My concern with guitars is more how they play and how they sound. Communication.

Even a "board" guitar will have quirks of materials and of manufacture. A $500-1,000 guitar with solid wood is unlikely to have "perfection" in the sense of all man-made materials stamped or extruded, and even those will have a certain percentage of "imperfect" numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I think there are real quality concerns when it comes to aging of woods, construction quality that also affects longevity ... etc.

But honestly, perhaps because I'm so old that sound and playability are my priorities and none of my "old" guitars are "perfect" at this point in time, I'd keep almost any nice-playing and nice-sounding guitar in that price range.

m

• 1 month later...

I'd return it until you're happy. You're probably going to own this guitar for quite some time, so best to get what you're happy with now. I'm sure you're not the first (nor the last) to return a guitar to Sweetwater.

*Update 2/8/13*

I was just going to say screw it, and keep the second DR500 Sweetwater sent me, although I was still a bit upset with the finish and the chip in the soundhole.

However... Gibson responded to my email from a while back and Bob from Customer Service asked me to RMA the second guitar directly to them in Nashville.

He issued me an RMA number and has me scheduled to receive another DR500MCE that will be thoroughly inspected and setup this time around before shipping to me.

I did have to provide pictures (as cosmetics flaws are not covered under warranty) but it still went through with no issues.

Pre-paid fedex pickup coming this week.

I am pretty pumped on this!

Crunch

*Update 2/8/13*

I was just going to say screw it, and keep the second DR500 Sweetwater sent me, although I was still a bit upset with the finish and the chip in the soundhole.

However... Gibson responded to my email from a while back and Bob from Customer Service asked me to RMA the second guitar directly to them in Nashville.

He issued me an RMA number and has me scheduled to receive another DR500MCE that will be thoroughly inspected and setup this time around before shipping to me.

I did have to provide pictures (as cosmetics flaws are not covered under warranty) but it still went through with no issues.

Pre-paid fedex pickup coming this week.

I am pretty pumped on this!

Crunch

Good for you. Never settle for second best I always say. And if any guitar company does not want to make good on its own product, well, that's a perfect way to go out of business. Push the envelope till you get what you want. That's what I did. It took me 3 Epiphone DR-500MCE guitars bought and returned to find a good one.I would imagine that could get quite expensive to Epiphone. Perhaps they will see the light. I love my Epi's and I have 4 of them. All of them took several returns to get a good one. I wouldn't want to go through this ugly process of buy and return again. It it comes to that I will simply buy another brand guitar that is buuilt without flaws. Sounds like this time you will get what you want...Do let us know how this works out for you. Having been through the same thing as you over and over with my Epi's, I will be curious to see if you are taken care of by Epi, or not.

• 3 months later...

Archived