Gibson Brands Forums

Need Help identifying vintage Gibson!!

whess3298

I am new to the forum and need help identifying the following: Natural (kinda blonde) guitar 14.75 " ,14 frets clear, black tuner keys, top and bottom bound, spruce top, mahogany sides and back. FON is easy to read: "7209 H" and just below it the number "8". Guitar is in good shape small crack lines in the finish and tuner keys may need adjustment but it looks good and plays great. I hope I can get a good read on the model and year without posting pics, but I will post them if necessary. I really think it is 1932 - 1942. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!!

whess3298

Gibson J-45, 1955 to 1959 (left hand)

2009 Gibson Hummingbird (left hand)

1970 Gibson Hummingbird Custom (left hand)

I am guessing a '42 because of the H.....unless it stands for Hawian(sp). Pics would be a plus. You don't mention the peghead logo either. If the body width was a little less, I would guess an LG3....

Pics if possible!

If it is a 'lefty'....all the more intriguing

Rod

I'm going to go with 1942 judging by the FON and the black tuning keys. When you say "kinda blonde" do you mean opaque (butterscotch) blonde? Like this?

CIMG5233.JPG

Or just natural, like this:

J45-1205_fullf.jpg

The former is a very very rare finish. The latter is still very rare!

I am guessing a '42 because of the H.....unless it stands for Hawian(sp). Pics would be a plus. You don't mention the peghead logo either. If the body width was a little less, I would guess an LG3....

Pics if possible!

If it is a 'lefty'....all the more intriguing

Rod

It is not a lefty.

post-52041-052073900 1356838602_thumb.jpg

post-52041-069630600 1356839234_thumb.jpg

Hey, sorry for my inacurate first-hand 'gut-feeling' after seeing the pics....:o . I can see now that motherofpearl is correct. I am not up to speed on the early L models.

The natural top and the ultra-wide bridge made it look other than Gibson (to my eyes).....as well as the headstock photo which appeared to show a flat-top.......

I dunno? I do feel that the bridge is an oversize replacement and just looks out of place on that guitar. Very clean-looking guitar BTW

After further googling, I think it is a '42.....one of the last in this configuration...

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/loo.html

Sorry ....I have been wrong before:lol: ....so I will just shut-up !

A beautiful instrument. The bridge is a replacement. It looks to have the opaque yellow finish which if original (I presume that it is, but the bridge replacement raises the question) places it among a rare group of late L-00s.

Cool guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the forum and need help identifying the following: Natural (kinda blonde) guitar 14.75 " ,14 frets clear, black tuner keys, top and bottom bound, spruce top, mahogany sides and back. FON is easy to read: "7209 H" and just below it the number "8". Guitar is in good shape small crack lines in the finish and tuner keys may need adjustment but it looks good and plays great. I hope I can get a good read on the model and year without posting pics, but I will post them if necessary. I really think it is 1932 - 1942. Thanks for any assistance you can provide!!

Hey did you get any help?? I have one that is about 35 years old. I wonder how much they are worth?

Billy

whess3298

Gibson J-45, 1955 to 1959 (left hand)

2009 Gibson Hummingbird (left hand)

1970 Gibson Hummingbird Custom (left hand)

The "H" should be a dead giveaway. It only appears in 1942. The FON on my 1942 J-50, as example, is 7116H.

A couple of years back I stumbled on a 1942 L-00 that I was thinking of buying. It was a burst with the white script logo and no banner with an 7XXXH FON so I am guessing that is what you have.

Hey, I love the guitar, extremely clean -- WOW.

The straight sided headstock and the width of the lower bout sort of locks in the identity as a L-00. I'm so used to looking at sunbursts that this one made me do a double take. The white painted Gibson name is standard for L-00's. It just looks so bright. Is that the original finish? One thing that makes me wonder about this guitar is the binding. The top binding looks like WBW triple bound and that doesn't seen right. Is the guitar bound top and bottom with single white binding? It's hard to tell.

If you have the contact with the original owner of the guitar be sure to get a picture of her with the guitar and make a record of what she says about it. That would be worth a lot.

Archived