Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Broadway

kidblast

I think I'm going crazy...

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Broadway Archtop...

I already have an Emperor Regent, but this one has been calling my name,

I do love Archtops, God knows I could never justify a Gibson, so I've been fancying one for a while now.

I show my wife DEb, she looks at the picture and says, "honey, you HAVE one of those already don't you, I see you playing it all the time"

Me: "No dear, it's WAY different. see this one has TWO pickups see????"

her: "uhmm,, okay if you say so, sorta looks the same to me"

I'm honestly questioning my own sanity for doing this... I mean how much different can it possibly be?

Like I should ask any of you guys to talk me out of this right?

help me Lord, help me Jesus

/KB (Ray)

Hey, good on yah...

This year was the first half decent in 20, so... although I prefer the smaller-bodied archtops, I ended up thinking "one" and ending up with 2. I got a great deal on the Gretsch below. I figured even it it stank I wasn't all that much out.

Then just weeks later got a call from the guitar store a bit more than an hour away where I'd asked them to let me know if they got in a Joe Pass or the Eastman. They called a cupla weeks before Christmas with the Eastman.

Eastman ar371ce - Gretsch G100ce

Both single pickup. The Eastman is more like a single pup 175. The Gretsch has the longer scale. Both the smaller bodies in comparison.

I really don't think anybody can say exactly what the difference among guitars is except that it's a matter of personality.

Even with a given string size, I think there are so many string types that both playing and "sounding" are different, too, and on different guitars. Add variations in pup settings and amp settings and for somebody playing "jazz," I think there's great variations in sound and playing for any given instrument.

Have fun... I think sometimes that getting the right setup, the right strings, etc., are at least a year's work even if you're playing for money.

m

Hey, good on yah...

This year was the first half decent in 20, so... although I prefer the smaller-bodied archtops, I ended up thinking "one" and ending up with 2. I got a great deal on the Gretsch below. I figured even it it stank I wasn't all that much out.

Then just weeks later got a call from the guitar store a bit more than an hour away where I'd asked them to let me know if they got in a Joe Pass or the Eastman. They called a cupla weeks before Christmas with the Eastman.

Eastman ar371ce - Gretsch G100ce

Both single pickup. The Eastman is more like a single pup 175. The Gretsch has the longer scale. Both the smaller bodies in comparison.

I really don't think anybody can say exactly what the difference among guitars is except that it's a matter of personality.

Even with a given string size, I think there are so many string types that both playing and "sounding" are different, too, and on different guitars. Add variations in pup settings and amp settings and for somebody playing "jazz," I think there's great variations in sound and playing for any given instrument.

Have fun... I think sometimes that getting the right setup, the right strings, etc., are at least a year's work even if you're playing for money.

m

all very true milod

I've tried a few different sets such as D'Addario nickels, Gibson L5s, and the D'Addario Chromes, (11 gauge seems best, I've tried 10s on the Regent, and it just didn't respond like it should have.)

On my Regent the 11 chromes just seem to be "right". I tweak the action once in a while but I think I like it where it is now, not super low, but low enough where my hands navigate the 11s just fine. So I'm thinking I'll go with 11 chromes on the Broadway but I've got a few D'Addrio 11 nickles on stand by. I assume the 10s will do on this what they do on the Regent, they just go "PLINK"!

My gut feeling is the single floating pickup on the Emperor Regent is going to have a massively different voice than the two Alnico classics that are on the Broadways.

for other archtops I picked up a Gibby ES135 with PAFs that I modded with a bigsy, I think that is a 2000/2001 vintage (it's great), and in 2004 I picked up a Chet Atkins Epi Elitist that is just a remarkably gorgeous piece. Soon after, Epi disco'd them, so they are sort of hard to come by. I got similarly lucky in 2010 when I picked up the Regent, soon after, they were discontinued, and no longer available accept on fleabay

As I've said a few times about this Epi's While I wold LOVE an L4 or L5, I just can't justify the cost. I could have tried a gretch or a an Ibanez etc... in the same price range, but I tend to remain faithful to Gibson, we'll see how this one rides when it gets here. C'mon FRIDAY!...

I'm with you on the Gibson vs. Epi "thing." Although... I love the feel of the nice little 175.

Comparing the Eastman with the inset pup and the Gretsch with the floating pup... I "feel" right now that there's more of an acoustic sort of sound with a floating pup. But again, setup, strings, yadayada, make a lotta difference too. I figure I've a lotta game time with the Gretsch, especially, since a 175-type is pretty familiar territory.

m

I would guess the the top with the floating pickup may just resonate that much more than the dual pickups that are installed and cut into the the tops on the Broadways.

I will be able to do similar comparisons, should be interesting.

This weekend (too busy this week with work) I plan to give the Gretsch some light flats. We'll see. I picked up several brands from juststrings ranging from 9-38 flat LaBellas to 9-42 flat and half/round. The Eastman likely will keep the 9-42 Elixirs for at least a while.

Good luck on your experimenting too.

Yeah, I know I wear very light strings compared to many, but I've had really good luck with 'em for the way I play which is almost more a classical guitar style...

Thing is, it's all part of "knowing" one's instrument to mess with such things, I think.

m

ahh well MF promised the Broadway would arrive friday (paid for 2 day air to make sure it was not in the hands of UPS over the weekend..

At least that's what I tried to have happen, but failed, now it's coming on Monday,

Sort of a bummer... I love when a Friday and a NGD day collide... don't you? #-o

Archived