Gibson Brands Forums

Can this satin finish be saved?

meanstreak

I bought this guitar tonight, it's an Epi Masterbilt AJ-500R in satin natural. Sounds fantastic now that I've put a new set of strings on it. It also is set up perfectly and came with the Masterbilt hard(ish) case. The problem is that the owner had some stickers on it for a few years that once removed have left the lighter spots you see, but it plays and sounds awesome and the price was just $260 so I thought why not.

Anyway is there anything I can do to make the spots less severe or ever fix it entirely? Could I even possibly add a coat of gloss that would even everything out?

2isf345.jpg

I bought this guitar tonight, it's an Epi Masterbilt AJ-500R in satin natural. Sounds fantastic now that I've put a new set of strings on it. It also is set up perfectly and came with the Masterbilt hard(ish) case. The problem is that the owner had some stickers on it for a few years that once removed have left the lighter spots you see, but it plays and sounds awesome and the price was just $260 so I thought why not.

Anyway is there anything I can do to make the spots less severe or ever fix it entirely? Could I even possibly add a coat of gloss that would even everything out?

2isf345.jpg

The short answer is no it can't be saved as is. It will always have those spots no matter how hard you try to cover them up. Best to have a refinisher remove all or the rear half and build it back up. But, if it sounds good then play it as is. I kinda like the spots.

Don't know the answer to your question, but based on the shape of the middle sticker the previous owner was a fan of the now defunct Cross Canadian Ragweed. Cody Canada, the former front man is a good songwriter and is a big reason why I "had to have" a J-200.

Sorry for the lack of help. The sticker outline just caught my eye. Best of luck to ya

Don't know if it'll be worth a refinish - as said above, rather see it as a part of the 'persona'.

Don't know the answer to your question, but based on the shape of the middle sticker the previous owner was a fan of the now defunct Cross Canadian Ragweed.

Hehe, good eyes, detail had to be noted -

JEREMY!!!

Cool to see you drop in. We talk about your work all the time here =D>

I don't think it could be fixed either, but maybe helped a bit.

The fading/tanning is either the wood, the finish, or both. You can't "untan" it, but if it is on the surface of the finish, a little rubbing compound might take some of it off.

Don't know the answer to your question, but based on the shape of the middle sticker the previous owner was a fan of the now defunct Cross Canadian Ragweed. Cody Canada, the former front man is a good songwriter and is a big reason why I "had to have" a J-200.

Sorry for the lack of help. The sticker outline just caught my eye. Best of luck to ya

LOL ya that's what he said! Good eye for sure. I've only heard a couple of their songs but liked the ones I did.

Thanks for the suggetions guys, like some of you said you kinda liked them, it's sort of growing on me already lol. I won't bother spending any money on it since even though it sounds great it's "just an Epi" but I will put it on my living room stand that gets plenty of natural light but no direct sunlight and see how that goes. Maybe I can take pics once a month to track the progess!

Archived