Gibson Brands Forums

MIK Sheraton bridge and tailstop wanted

hydrodriver

Hello All! I'm new to the forum and wanted to say that there looks to be a lot of great information on the site. I hope to learn from all of you! Now for my question. Does anybody know where I can find a gold bridge and tailstop for one of the older narrow Epi Sheraton IIs?

other than evilbay parts in guitar section just keep googling gibson epi guitar parts sometimes you have to spend a lot of wasted time looking,if you dont want original there are plenty of places like all parts,gfs,and the likes that sell import replacements that will do the trick,

other than evilbay parts in guitar section just keep googling gibson epi guitar parts sometimes you have to spend a lot of wasted time looking,if you dont want original there are plenty of places like all parts,gfs,and the likes that sell import replacements that will do the trick,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked those sites with no luck. Am I wrong in my thinking that the older Sheratons had 2"25/32 inch spacing on the bridge pins instead of the standard 2"29/32?

Hydrodriver,

Welcome to the forum!

You are not wrong.

The actual center to center measurement, I believe, is 72mm. Standard for metrics today and on all other Epiphones

is 74mm.

Now, I have never had to deal with this so take this as pure speculation.

(I would hate to hear that you wasted money because of me.)

But...

There is a fair amount of play (wiggle) between most bridges and the posts they sit on. (plus a bit of play on the threads)

That is only 2mm center to center difference that we are talking about.

First, I am wondering that if you ran the post most of the way up, set the 74mm bridge on it and then ran it back down,

would it work?

Next, in a worst case scenario, the 74mm bridge comes with post that are approximately 6mm wide.

How hard could it be to file 1mm off the inside of each hole on the bridge?

or...

Take the posts down by 1mm each.

I have not done this with bridge posts but, I have done it with tailpiece posts:

I did it in order for a Gibson TP-6 to fit my Epi L.P.

About 10 wraps of tape.

1000828e.jpg

hand tightened into a drill which I used as a lathe:

1000830r.jpg

With these results:

1000833v.jpg

As to bridges, if you wanted to try it on an inexpensive one I like these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.html?tab=Specs

or

See if you local shop has some inexpensive posts for sale. Try and see what happens.

Good luck,

Willy

Hydrodriver,

Welcome to the forum!

You are not wrong.

The actual center to center measurement, I believe, is 72mm. Standard for metrics today and on all other Epiphones

is 74mm.

Now, I have never had to deal with this so take this as pure speculation.

(I would hate to hear that you wasted money because of me.)

But...

There is a fair amount of play (wiggle) between most bridges and the posts they sit on. (plus a bit of play on the threads)

That is only 2mm center to center difference that we are talking about.

First, I am wondering that if you ran the post most of the way up, set the 74mm bridge on it and then ran it back down,

would it work?

Next, in a worst case scenario, the 74mm bridge comes with post that are approximately 6mm wide.

How hard could it be to file 1mm off the inside of each hole on the bridge?

or...

Take the posts down by 1mm each.

I have not done this with bridge posts but, I have done it with tailpiece posts:

About 10 wraps of tape.

1000828e.jpg

hand tightened into a drill which I used as a lathe:

1000830r.jpg

With these results:

1000833v.jpg

As to bridges, if you wanted to try it on an inexpensive one I like these:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_tailpieces/Electric_guitar,_Tune-o-matic_bridges/Gotoh_Tune-o-matic_Bridge.html?tab=Specs

or

See if you local shop has some inexpensive posts for sale. Try and see what happens.

Good luck,

Willy

Thanks Willy, I apppreciate your help! If all else fails I will give your idea a try. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Can I assume the string spacing is the same?

I should have made it more clear that I have never had a Sheraton so I do not know.

If you go to the Stewmac link above and click on the spec tab it gives the measurements.

You can compare them to your guitar......(which we have not seen yet...pics?...hint, hint)

Otherwise, there are bridges out there with similar hole centers that are not pre-notched.

Willy

I should have made it more clear that I have never had a Sheraton so I do not know.

If you go to the Stewmac link above and click on the spec tab it gives the measurements.

You can compare them to your guitar......(which we have not seen yet...pics?...hint, hint)

Otherwise, there are bridges out there with similar hole centers that are not pre-notched.

Willy

Looks like I'm back to looking for an original or direct replacement bridge and tailstop. The string spacing is 1.98" on the older Sheraton compared to 2.047" on the new ones. So far nobody has a new one to fit the older model that I have checked with. Any help would be appreciated!

Looks like I'm back to looking for an original or direct replacement bridge and tailstop. The string spacing is 1.98" on the older Sheraton compared to 2.047" on the new ones.

Not sure how that would be a problem.

Presuming your numbers are correct, you are talking about a difference of .067". That is 67/1000 of an inch.

That would be less than 1/10" overall difference. (E to E)

That means that from the center of the bridge to either E string the maximum it would be out is less than 1/20".

(and that is at the bridge)

In that the string distances taper going to the nut, by the time you even reach the base of the fretboard I just don't see that much difference.

And that is without adjustment!

Remember that the slots in the Gotoh are only starter slots and need to be finish filed. (heck, you can barely even see them in the link pics)

From outside to center from either E, the smallest amount of inward pressure on the file should be enough to make up 1/20".

If anything, I would be worried about over compensating as I worked my way to the center.

As to plating, I put up a suggestion on your other thread.

Just a couple thoughts,

Willy

Not sure how that would be a problem.

Presuming your numbers are correct, you are talking about a difference of .067". That is 67/1000 of an inch.

That would be less than 1/10" overall difference. (E to E)

That means that from the center of the bridge to either E string the maximum it would be out is less than 1/20".

(and that is at the bridge)

In that the string distances taper going to the nut, by the time you even reach the base of the fretboard I just don't see that much difference.

And that is without adjustment!

Remember that the slots in the Gotoh are only starter slots and need to be finish filed. (heck, you can barely even see them in the link pics)

From outside to center from either E, the smallest amount of inward pressure on the file should be enough to make up 1/20".

If anything, I would be worried about over compensating as I worked my way to the center.

As to plating, I put up a suggestion on your other thread.

Just a couple thoughts,

Willy

Thanks Willy, I apprecite your help!!!

Archived