Gibson Brands Forums

Celestion Vintage 30 opinions

Riffster

Have had a cab loaded with GT75's for years and could never get the warm sound I was looking for. I eventually got a Vox AC 30 amplifier loaded with greenbacks. Ireally loved the sound of that amp. I eventually made my own cabinet and put two vintage 30s into it. When I compared those two pairs of speakers side-by-side, the vintage 30s seemed to have a slightly smoother, less harsh sound. I've been using the vintage 30s for the last five years and believe they were made in England. I play hard rock and punk music through them without a lot of effects. I use an old Marshall JCM800 and generally rely on the amplifier for distortion. I'm not sure how the speakers hold up with hot pick ups and lots of distortion. If I had the money, I would buy 4 more put them in my 4-12 cabinet.

• 4 months later...

Well, I bought the Slash SL-5 combo and it sounded alright, lacked bass and a bit shrill, the midrange was crazy, I unplugged the stock vintage 30 and plugged a my other cabs and it was evident right away that it was the speaker that sounded off.

I decided to give the speaker a good workout to break it in, I plugged it into an solid state amp, played music for a total of about 25 hours in two sessions and dang, what a difference, now the speaker is noticeably smoother. I am sure that there is a little more break in but it sounds great. Definitely a rocking speaker.

Archived