Gibson Brands Forums

Airlines destroying guitars again!

jimmyl51

Just saw this on yahoo. Since I just brought back a mint 1966 Guild T-100 in natural from Boston to Dallas and then to Oklahoma City the article really brought back the trip to me although in my case I had absolutely no problems with American Airlines as I had the guitar gate checked into the closet to the right of the door to the aircraft as you first enter. American was actually VERY nice in my issistance that the guitar would ONLY be gate checked. jim in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/vintage-gibson-guitar-delta-baggage-leevees-214634001.html

1. NEVER-EVER fly with a guitar unless it is in an ATA approved flight case
  2. If you want to buy a seat or put it up top and are refused, have the person refusing sign an acknowledgement of the instrument's worth before it goes into the belly of the airplaine
  3. NEVER EVER travel with a guitar unless it's in an ATA approved flight case
  4. If possible, ship your guitar (in a flight case) via UPS or FedEx to the nearest facility to the destination airport and mark it "Hold for pick up"
  5. NEVER-EVER take a guitar out of your house unless it is in an ATA approved flight case

Did I mention, always transport your guitar in an ATA approved flight case?

gig bags regular cases these won't do, even to the local gig and back. If you love your gear, a flight case is really cheap insurance.

Insights and incites by Notes

1. NEVER-EVER fly with a guitar unless it is in an ATA approved flight case
  2. If you want to buy a seat or put it up top and are refused, have the person refusing sign an acknowledgement of the instrument's worth before it goes into the belly of the airplaine
  3. NEVER EVER travel with a guitar unless it's in an ATA approved flight case
  4. If possible, ship your guitar (in a flight case) via UPS or FedEx to the nearest facility to the destination airport and mark it "Hold for pick up"
  5. NEVER-EVER take a guitar out of your house unless it is in an ATA approved flight case

Did I mention, always transport your guitar in an ATA approved flight case?

gig bags regular cases these won't do, even to the local gig and back. If you love your gear, a flight case is really cheap insurance.

Insights and incites by Notes

Hear, hear, Bob Norton.

The first responsibility lies with the owner. It bears repeating: ATA approved flight case or you don't check it in.

My TKL cases are only for storage in the home. Even then, I make sure nothing falls on the case except for dust.

I fly 3-4x a year with a guitar. I always gate check it. No problems ever and United, whom I fly with, is always nice. Probably because of the old video which featured them. I think gate checking is the key. I have the OHSC or a gig bag.

Archived