Gibson Brands Forums

Supershow (1969) - Have you seen it?

jc1funk

I'm always surprised by how few people are aware of Supershow (1969).

So I thought I'd share the goodness. As a teaser, here's a track featuring Buddy Guy, Jack Bruce & Rolland Kirk.

Stormy Monday

And another, Eric Clapton and Buddy Guy duelling:

There's also a track by Led Zep but you're going to have to find that one on your own cos I gotta get back to work.

Enjoy!

JC

[thumbup]

"I don't want to be the fastest guitarist, I want to be the guitarist with the most feeling and able to express the music I hear in my head. That is my goal..."

= my kinda guitarist.. nice one dude.

Ok, so I am one of those unaware. [confused] What is Supershow?

Google "Supershow 1969", or better, yet, youtube it.

A mate and I stumbled across it on VHS back in the mid 90s. If you can find the VHS, it is more complete, running for over 3 hours while the DVD is very poorly cut down, running at about 70min.

It was one of those seminal influences on us as young muso's.

From Wikipedia:

Supershow was a music documentary film made in 1969, which was directed by John Crome and produced by Tom Parkinson.

This film was intended to be Britain's first music 'super session', with several famous blues, jazz and rock artists of the time coming together to be filmed whilst performing...

Filming took place over a two day period in March 1969 in a disused linoleum factory at Staines, England. Artists who were filmed on March 25 included Led Zeppelin, Buddy Guy, Jack Bruce, Buddy Miles, **** Heckstall-Smith and Chris Mercer. Those filmed on March 26 included Eric Clapton, Colosseum, Buddy Guy, Roland Kirk and Stephen Stills. This project also marks one of the rare film appearances of Glenn Campbell and The Misunderstood. Allegedly Jimi Hendrix was due to appear but missed the plane from New York.[1]

The whole project was planned with great secrecy and filming went ahead at a reputed cost of £100 per minute...

Thanks, I was another who was unaware. Good stuff, looking forward to the You Tube search for more!

Also cool to see Clapton playing that reverse Firebird, even for a few seconds, never seen him pictured with one.

Archived