Gibson Brands Forums

Thoughts to Ponder.

AXE®

I'd have to second the post about positive reviews in Acoustic Guitar Magazine. I love leafing through an issue, though I never purchase it. Frankly, they usually review guitars that are either out of my price range or ugly acoustic-electric cutaways that are alleged to be "excellent bargains".

A typical review goes something like this:

"The 2009 Martin HDVBS-28 VR-Y2K is a must for serious guitar collectors for whom dynamic response, playability, and gawdy double-helixes of abalone inlay are matters of life and death. The instrument was easy to play right out of the case, with crisp highs, well-pronounced mids, and tinnitus-inducing lows. Fingerpicked, the guitar is warm, shrill, golden, crisp, dusty, velvety, sensuous, intoxicating, and virile. Equally outstanding when strummed, flatpicked, or dropped on the floor.

Tuners are gold-plated Grover elites 100-series, which have been pre-sanded to reduce glare. The bridge is made of triple fermented cocobolo, harvested in Israel or Africa from planks believed to have come from Noah's Ark, King Herod's outhouse, or whatever you happen to find esoteric and appallingly luxurious.

This guitar is not recommended for beginners or the casual strummer. Indeed, the more modest Whatthef-ck series has none of the positives, yet costs the same: $23,000 MSRP.

In sum, this is the fine red wine of guitars (the grape kind -- not raspberry or strawberry). It is to be savored, strummed in private on the can, while your wife yells at you from another room. For further testimonials, please see the advertisements on pages 4, 121-129, and 131."

Archived