Gibson Brands Forums

$100 Fuzz Faces vs $200 Fuzz Faces

bluesguitar65

Here is an interesting demo video from "DUNLOP". They are comparing thier fuzz faces ranging from $100 to $200. Three are signature models and are priced much more than the red regular production model, $100. Can you hear the difference in tone? Also, notice that Dunlop is using Voodoo Labs Pedal Power instead of their own Dunlop Power Brick power supply. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMEXoo0pKNI

Cool comparison, the difference is more pronounced with the Les Paul and single notes.

Is the difference worth $100? up to you to decide.

I have the Joe Bonamassa model and I bought it because it is designed for humbuckers and its killer copper looks.

They are using batteries by the way, with the Voodoo Labs switcher.

They all sound pretty much the same. When playing with a band I doubt anyone will hear a difference. Save $100 and get the standard model...

I was lucky, I found one of these that probably sounds the same too and doesn't take up so much space and looks cool... I got it for $100... [thumbup]

Dunlop-JHM1-Jimi-Hendrix-70th-Anniversary-Fuzz-Face.jpg

I have the Joe Bonamassa model, besides the fact it looks so damn good i bought it because of how it sound. The difference may not be worth a $100 but i like it far more then the Jimi Hendrix Fuzz face.

Good video!

Actually I use a multi-effect box that 99.5 percent of the time is on the same setting. Then .25 percent of the time the bypass and tuner are in use and the other .25 percent of the time I'm just messing around.

It adds just the right amount of chorus/reverb/gain to make my inexpensive amp sound pretty decent.

It also can do a lot more stuff but... it sits on top of the amp, semi-permanently attached there.

Whoa, a "stomp box" one can't "stomp?"

Yup. It works well for a lotta things I like to do, complete to the "expression" pedal.

But it's also plastic.

Honestly, I think were I playing saloons for money it'd stay on top of the amp. A floor location requires IMHO a more solid construction.

The other box I haven't used in about two years, but did use as a "sounds close enough to a B3 and Leslie" with a cupla other guys doing blues, is a Boss box that is made of metal and can handle "stomping."

So I'd say frankly that the strength of construction might itself be worth the double price tag even if the innards were identical. $100 vs $200? For me now, nope. If I were doing two, three nights in a saloon? Yup, probably.

m

Archived