Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Traveling Songwriter

ol fred

Fred,

I haven't played the Traveling Songwriter, but have a fair amount of experience with "traveling" guitars, going back to 1967 when I hitchhiked across country with my J-45 and a B-4 bag (you former military folks will remember that bit of kit), which was an adventure for another time and another place.

I think the problem with all these nearly full-size so-called "traveling guitars" is the ambiguity about whether or not they will fit in aircraft overhead bins, and whether or not the airline will let you put it there. (Yes, I know all about the upcoming change to the FAA restrictions on musical instruments, thanks to JT.)

To me, if they make you check it, it ain't a traveling guitar in the truest sense. If by "traveling guitar" they just mean something you can throw in your car, or check as baggage, it doesn't count in my book. I could do that with a J-200 in a proper travel case.

I've been gradually testing the carry-on constraints on guitars for some years. I started with a Martin Backpacker in 1999 (which I still have, and would be happy to sell cheap if someone wants one), and last year moved up the size and quality ladder to a Composite Acoustics Cargo, which is getting close to the size of a small-body Gibson when it comes to the package that must fit in the overhead bin.

So far, I've carried that on multiple flights on both AA and UA without question, but I also always get to board early, so there is plenty of bin space when I get on the aircraft.

See photos below for size comparison: L-OO case vs soft CA Cargo case. The Cargo case will also compress a bit if required. Not so the L-OO case.

CO1.jpg

CO2.jpg

I have one, an early prototype:

IMGP3204.jpg

I've taken it with me on a number of international trips, and have never been hassled by airline staff when walking it onto a plane. And I've never had issues sticking it in the overhead bins.

The guitar was designed to be pretty sturdy, and it utilizes a laminated neck, and a hollowed body, and a shortened headstock, but the scale is 24.75". It's, in my opinion, several cuts above the Martin backpacker, and a lot of fun to play. Even has an onboard pickup so you can plug it in and annoy your neighbours!

Fred

I've taken it with me on a number of international trips, and have never been hassled by airline staff when walking it onto a plane. And I've never had issues sticking it in the overhead bins.

The guitar was designed to be pretty sturdy, and it utilizes a laminated neck, and a hollowed body, and a shortened headstock, but the scale is 24.75". It's, in my opinion, several cuts above the Martin backpacker, and a lot of fun to play. Even has an onboard pickup so you can plug it in and annoy your neighbours!

Fred

Fred,

Those are all appealing characteristics, for sure, particularly the full-length scale. My only reservation about wood guitars in this context is the idiot who tries to cram his oversized carry-on into the bin while crushing your guitar.

Fred,

Those are all appealing characteristics, for sure, particularly the full-length scale. My only reservation about wood guitars in this context is the idiot who tries to cram his oversized carry-on into the bin while crushing your guitar.

Yeah, well, there's no accounting for "stupid", is there? [biggrin]

The TS I have comes with a heavily padded gig bag and it really does provide pretty good protection, all things considered. And, if you keep a close eye on the turkey who comes on board and crams his vintage boat anchor on top of your guitar, well, that's just something you need to watch for. Be aware of where the flight attendants are, and smile at and shat with them if you want (or think you might need) some help here or there. Usually, it's possible to have the guy cramming something on top of your guitar move his anchor to another space.

Fred

Yeah, well, there's no accounting for "stupid", is there? [biggrin]

The TS I have comes with a heavily padded gig bag and it really does provide pretty good protection, all things considered. And, if you keep a close eye on the turkey who comes on board and crams his vintage boat anchor on top of your guitar, well, that's just something you need to watch for. Be aware of where the flight attendants are, and smile at and shat with them if you want (or think you might need) some help here or there. Usually, it's possible to have the guy cramming something on top of your guitar move his anchor to another space.

Fred

I've got this air travel thing down pretty well, since I fly about 100,000 miles per year on business. You are spot-on about chatting up the cabin crew. I do it with some pilots as well, as a surprising number play guitar. (I bought my 000-28 EC from a Delta pilot who had just bought a D-45.) They always love my little carbon fiber guitar.

My routine is to sit next to the gate door, picking my guitar while the crew boards. Then, when I go aboard a few minutes later, they all say "you're the guy with the big smile playing the guitar!"

Works (almost) every time. I think Euroaussie uses a similar routine when he flies, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear that JT--another carbon fiber guitar owner--does a similar thing.

The cabin crew controls your destiny. Be kind to them. Few people are.

Thanks Fred. How's the unplugged sound ?

IMGP3204.jpg

Fred

Used to always travel with a guitar - then I just bought a couple Epi/AJ knock offs and had them shipped to the in-laws, and one to my 96 year old father. The guitars just sit in cases, in corners, most of the year until I come rambling through. I've had excellent luck so far, and figured the odds were starting to pile up against me, so I rarely fly with an instrument anymore.

My routine is to sit next to the gate door, picking my guitar while the crew boards. Then, when I go aboard a few minutes later, they all say "you're the guy with the big smile playing the guitar!"

I was doing that too, except the last time they heard me, made a run for the plane and packed up and left me.....

On the Acoustic Guitar Magazine, they have a new, I know, not a Gibson, but a new Dreadnought version Voyage-Air...:

http://www.acguitar.com/article/Default.aspx?ArticleID=28599

Have you tried those, or the earlier fold-ups?

Personally, I would go for a replaceable guitar (J45) in a nice lightweight, heavy duty flightcase and just check it......

BluesKing777.

Since I can't travel anymore I'm not really looking for a travel guitar. I had never seen the Traveling Songwriter before today and was curious as to how it sounds.

I was doing that too, except the last time they heard me, made a run for the plane and packed up and left me.....

On the Acoustic Guitar Magazine, they have a new, I know, not a Gibson, but a new Dreadnought version Voyage-Air...:

http://www.acguitar....ArticleID=28599

Have you tried those, or the earlier fold-ups?

Personally, I would go for a replaceable guitar (J45) in a nice lightweight, heavy duty flightcase and just check it......

BluesKing777.

Archived