Gibson Brands Forums

'60's Japanese Garage Rock

slavestate

Hello there,

Not too long a go a buddy of mine gave me a CD called "GS I Love You : Japanese Garage Bands of the 60's". The quality of the recording on most of the tracks was very surprising and I could just picture those Elk, Kingston, Tempo, Checkmate amps etc... playing behind them in full effect. I picked out the two songs I loved most on the record.

I Saw Her Standing There is FANTASTIC. I swear Paul is singing some of the time. I'm digging that fuzz too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqEOEUZyS_M

Long Tall Sally is great too because the vocals are so exaggerated. It's total punk rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7VL7drz23g

The album is great and I recommend you all try getting it one way or another. There's about 30 songs, most of which are originals and a bunch in Japanese too. The CD came with a rad insert showing photos of all the bands and it was unbelievable.

Enjoy!

Hello there,

Not too long a go a buddy of mine gave me a CD called "GS I Love You : Japanese Garage Bands of the 60's". The quality of the recording on most of the tracks was very surprising and I could just picture those Elk, Kingston, Tempo, Checkmate amps etc...

I used a Checkmate as a preamp to one of my Sound City heads. Righteous.

rct

That's awesome. What'd it sound like? And which model Sound City?

1.) Not really, we had no other way to get any dirt out of them. 2.) Crap. 3.) I don't remember, I had two 50 watt heads. One ended up with a master volume put in the back, but even that sounded like crap.

rct

1.) Not really, we had no other way to get any dirt out of them. 2.) Crap. 3.) I don't remember, I had two 50 watt heads. One ended up with a master volume put in the back, but even that sounded like crap.

rct

My buddy has a 120R and it's a mean machine. It's super muddy no mater what you do but it has its purpose as an amp, tons of gain. The bass, middle, treble and presence are all active in that if they're turned down or off the overall volume of the amp is decreased, and increasing them all tends to add more gain. I'm not familiar with SC other than his and a few others I've seen and heard so I'm not too sure if that's the typical scenario. They seem to be fetching some good money these days too.

Archived