Gibson Brands Forums

New ES 335 Pro

Achilles Heel

I picked up this ES 335 Pro about one week ago and it's a great guitar overall. In the past I considered buying a Dot but most of the examples I played had larger necks. This model has a neck profile similar to a gibson 60's neck profile, like an SG or 335 slim neck feels which is comfortable for my small hands.

I the recent past I have played three or four Gibson ES 339's and one newer Gibson ES 335 and I believe the sound and feel of this guitar is comparable to some of the nicer examples of those models in my opinion. The body and fret board both have nice wood grains and the electronics are pretty solid except as mentioned below.

The fit and finish was great but not excellent out the box. There are a few flaws, but none of them bother me and I am pretty picky most of the time. There is a very small dot of red finish on the neck binding, and there's a tiny nick in the finish on the corner of the heel I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't run my finger across that particular spot. The only defect I found annoying is that the tone pot for the neck is completely dead but I am going to replace it myself because I like the way the guitar plays and feels too much.

Here's a couple of pictures.

post-15843-064827200 1359077395_thumb.jpg

post-15843-041666300 1359077403_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the comments! The fret board is nicely figured like the body it's just difficult to capture in a photo because it's pretty dark overall.

The setup was really nice out of the box with the action being medium height and almost zero fret buzz anywhere with the neck set straight. I still need to polish the frets, scrape the gunk off the fret board, oil the fret board, and change the strings but I am having too much fun playing right now. :)

HNGD.Big fan of Epi archtops.

If it was not for my new Es-355 and 62 Sheraton Reissue, I would be all over one of these.

But then again, if one shows up in the Tea Burst finish, I'd have to grab it.

The only ones I have been able to locate are in Japan.

Archived