Gibson Brands Forums

Strange "Epi" Acoustic model

aspenAD28

This is the closest model i could find:

http://vintagejapaneseacoustics.blogspot.de/search/label/Bluebell

http://oldguitar.jp/catalog/catalog.htm

All is the same but the piece on the back.

Seems to me anyone has ordered a Epi-labeled version from suzuki.

Also identical tuners of the Kiso Suzuki rsw200

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-mxl25ow2d8E/UGL2GUlk4_I/AAAAAAAACkk/R5Dc7lRTaAY/s1600/rsw200%2Bheadstock2.jpg

This is a very rare Epi D-14. I dont even have this one in the wiki yet. This one may be even more rare than normal because of the flat headstock instead of having the traditional Epiphone headstock. Moreso, the logo is typically silkscreened, whereas yours is pearloid. Very cool!

Ebay Japan link. Get it while its hot (the link, that is). There is a description on the bottom half of the page.

http://translate.goo...&tbb=1&ie=utf-8

My suggestion is that Norlin ordered this model from Suzuki before they produced their own entry-line and this model was a low numbered pre-version or a dealer-presentation model. Maybe somebody knows an employee of Norlin from this Area.

There were a sticker insinde but it's missing. damn

I bought it without.

You'll get your wiki-pics soon.

That seems like the most likely scenario. Pre-production and show models pop up here every so often and are usually similar to the production models with a few variations. I've just never seen an Epi pre-production model before. I think that many people probably find this stuff boring because it an Epiphone and a comparatively low-budget Epiphone at that. But I think it is fascinating. [thumbup]

Thanks in advance for the pics. If you like, you can send them to epiphonewiki@gmail.com. Its probably easier than trying to upload them here.

These Guitars sound great. I love those lawsuits [thumbup]

The whole Martin lawsuit thing is, of course, a myth. While Gibson did go after Ibanez, Martin never sued anybody. There was some sabre rattling aimed at Takamine in particualr but it was over the headstock shape and Martin-esque script logo. It had nothing to do with copying Martin design features. Tak ended up just quietly going along with Martin's request.

• 2 weeks later...

RE: the RTH link:

Close inspection of the inside the sound hole label reveals it to be a Norlin era guitar made in Taiwan. I believe this brand was somewhat concurrent with Matsumoku Epiphones. Probably to be sold in a different market. Either it just made logistical sense or it was for the Indonesian/Australian/Indian Ocean rim countries for customers who still hadn't gotten over that whole invasion and occupation thing by the Japanese during WWII.

The particular sample linked by RTH appears to be on a par with a top of the line Matsumoku FT 150.

Some of these have shown up in the United States, but may have been brought back by private citizens, or may have been actively exported to the US.

The whole Martin lawsuit thing is, of course, a myth. While Gibson did go after Ibanez, Martin never sued anybody. There was some sabre rattling aimed at Takamine in particualr but it was over the headstock shape and Martin-esque script logo. It had nothing to do with copying Martin design features. Tak ended up just quietly going along with Martin's request.

Takamine did a copy of a Gallagher after Doc Watson started using them.

First time I saw one, I wondered what in the heck this low end music store was doing with a Gallagher!

It was a nicely done copy, and you had to look hard at the stylized T on the peghead to realize it was not a G.

Those Martin copies were also very close, but it was easier to spot the name change in the logo.

• 10 months later...

Archived