Gibson Brands Forums

Has the Traditional got cheaper?

Thin_Lizzy

Hi All,

I noticed recently that the LP Traditional is much cheap than it was. I bought my Ice Tea new in 2008 and it was $2800, it's now about $1800. Has the quality of materials been reduced or are Gibson making other cost cutting measures?

Thanks for any comments.

Not lower quality, or spec's...but (possibly) some overproduction, compared to what was

actually sold. Therefore, they were just blowing out, to the dealers, the 2012 ones.

They did the same thing, for the '61 SG "Satin" finished models, and probably other 2012

models as well. And, we...the consumer got some great deals, in the process.

So, if you're in the mood, for a "Traditional," now would be the time, to get one!

My dealer has (last time I was up there) some 2012 Traditionals, for as low as $1,400. [thumbup]

CB

Not lower quality, or spec's...but (possibly) some overproduction, compared to what was

actually sold. Therefore, they were just blowing out, to the dealers, the 2012 ones.

They did the same thing, for the '61 SG "Satin" finished models, and probably other 2012

models as well. And, we...the consumer got some great deals, in the process.

So, if you're in the mood, for a "Traditional," now would be the time, to get one!

My dealer has (last time I was up there) some 2012 Traditionals, for as low as $1,400. [thumbup]

CB

I think a lot of it comes down to finishes gibson offers for such high priced guitars. They offer AMAZING finishes on customs, but lots of burst and translucent of all colors. But they keep pushing the same dull browns, gold, white, reds on us not in the 2500+ guitar market. PRS offers better looks from 600-3k range guitars. Gibson's do not start to shine till after that price point.

Archived