Gibson Brands Forums

Any Koa Experts Around Here ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks ,

been a Koa lover for along time ... this year I may have the chance to get a custom koa guitar .

I'm basically looking for a history lesson on koa itself and the Gibson/Koa relationship from the old days to now .

what kind of Koa should I have bozeman build my guitar out of ?

It's not going to happen right away but I have to start building the idea in my head then ask the bozeman people to replicate it Lol .

that being said this koa top is pretty much perfection to my eye

KK1_zps33e27f63.jpg

did gibson use koa back in the 30's and 40's ??

thanks

JC

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson probably experimented with koa through the years, but the first I've seen it used for in routine production was in the early '90's in the SJ-200's. Martin started making dred and 00 sized koa models in 1980 and even made some 7/8 sized versions. I'm a big fan of koa as well, when it is done correctly. I'd say the conventional view is it always looks great, but the sound may not match. The all koa versions are a different type of guitar as well, as I find it takes quite some time to break in the top to achieve the signature "sweet" sound of a koa top.

did gibson use koa back in the 30's and 40's ??

I don't know of any Gibson-branded koa instruments from that time, but there are a few koa ukes that appear to be Gibson-built dating back to the '30s. In particular, there are a couple of known examples of what are basically TU-1s built for Dusi's Music in Youngstown OH (now long gone). Richard Johnson at Gryphon has examined one, and is pretty sure it was Gibson-built.

-- Bob R

Archived