Gibson Brands Forums

SG G-400 Maestro Vibrato LE advice needed

bobby216

Hello everyone!

I am new to this board and looking for some feedback on a Epiphone SG G400 Maestro Vibrato Limited Edition; Pelham Blue Edition.

I am looking to purchase this guitar after a long time away from playing and it is what I want based on my research. I am pretty much starting over and not looking to spend over $500 for a new to me guitar to learn on again and just play around with at home.

I would like to know if there are any major issues that would sway me from purchasing this guitar? I have only read a few reviews online as that is all I could find. Some of these mention issues with the neck in regards to it causing tuning issues and also with neckdive. I was wondering if this is few and far between or something common?

Anything else anyone can comment on I would appreciate! They do not have these available locally so I am going to chance getting one online.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome to the Epiphone forum. Interesting question as I have been looking at the same guitar. The SG guitar is noted for having "neck dive". Maybe the vibrola device will off set some of the "diving" tendency. If not, the solution most say is to get a wide strap that distributes the weight of the guitar evenly across your back and shoulder. Tuning stability seems to be OK, but too much whammy action can knock most any guitar out of tune. Upgrade to better tuners, better pickups, better electronics, better nut...get my drift ? Also, check for string buzz, which usually can be corrected by adjusting the truss rod. The pelham blue collection of Epiphone electric guitars is quite beautiful (I presently have an ES 355 on back order)and hope to have a pelham SG (which my younger son asked me to get, for the work/repair and maintainance on my home...better to pay him than the "fix it" man, I suppose). Plus, I'll get to play it too.. :rolleyes:

I'm sure others will contribute to this post.

P_PelSGCSTMaestro1-950d247802ecb2df6b47d0fc335ec33a.jpg

Hi, welcome to the Epiphone forum. Interesting question as I have been looking at the same guitar. The SG guitar is noted for having "neck dive". Maybe the vibrola device will off set some of the "diving" tendency. If not, the solution most say is to get a wide strap that distributes the weight of the guitar evenly across your back and shoulder. Tuning stability seems to be OK, but too much whammy action can knock most any guitar out of tune. Upgrade to better tuners, better pickups, better electronics, better nut...get my drift ? Also, check for string buzz, which usually can be corrected by adjusting the truss rod. The pelham blue collection of Epiphone electric guitars is quite beautiful (I presently have an ES 355 on back order)and hope to have a pelham SG (which my younger son asked me to get, for the work/repair and maintainance on my home...better to pay him than the "fix it" man, I suppose). Plus, I'll get to play it too.. :rolleyes:

I'm sure others will contribute to this post.

Thanks for the information. I guess when I read a few notes on a few online reviews about the neck being loose and causing tuning issues I got nervous; especially as I'm buying online.

I'll give it a shot; it's not going to break me financially if I have major issues and have to sell it. I also have no worries about upgrading/modifying parts down the road as I am confident enough in my mechanical/electrical abilities and I like to tinker.

I have several Epi SG's with Maestros, all bought online. There's no tuning problems; you just have to get the slack string out of the tuning posts just like with every other vibrato bar. Nothing looks as cool as a Maestro. And they have the most comfortable handle of any vibrato.

All of the Epi SG's with Maestros I've played are made out of hard, heavy woods, more so than the stop bar models. I doubt it's a coincidence. I assume this is to prevent anything coming loose on them, or any other possible warping/cracking issues. Because of that, they're not neck-heavy. They're tough guitars.

See how you like the stock PU's. If you decide to upgrade, there are some good choices for SG's.

I have a G-400 with Maestro an I love it. Like Bluesman said, it is the best feeling Vibrato I have, and I have several different types. I use a leather strap with a suede back and I have no "neck diving" issues. No problem with tuning either. I did take it into the shop for a setup after buying it and the tech filed the saddles for burrs. Mine is a 2005 and I wasn't crazy about the pups, so I put a set of Gibson Burstbuckers in it, along with new pots, jack, switch and wiring. I couldn't be happier. I have heard that since then Epi has changed their pups. A lot of guys are totally happy with the stock pups.Post pics after you get it.

I appreciate all the responses so far from everyone who have put my mind at ease.

I am looking to play some 70's/80's hard rock and alt/indie rock mostly.

I am also looking to try out some "shoegaze" music. A vibrato/tremelo is used in some of this as I'm sure many people know so I sought out a guitar with this feature. I know they use Jazzmaster style guitars with this type of music; but I wanted something more versatile across the board to start with.

I am going to order one this weekend and hopefully get one when they are back in stock this month.

I am just getting back into playing so I'm sure the stock guitar will tide me over for a bit and I welcome the challenge to switch out parts and upgrade if it will benefit me.

I'll post pictures when I receive it.

Thanks again!

Archived