Gibson Brands Forums

Speaking of Eric Clapton

trvlr

I saw these gents on this tour when the played Madison Square Garden in NYC. It was a great show, with a great band (Steve Gadd, Chris Stainton) and recoorded for the DVD/CD release.

Winwood really seemed to bring out the best in Clapton.

Awesome JT - I vaguely remember when these guys toured. Would loved to have seen them but did not. These vintage groups getting together and touring doing a repro of previous work seems to be the trend of late. I think The Who is doing their Quadrophenia album....the other "JT" (Jethro Tull) doing Thick as a Brick..not sure if these guys did their full Blind Faith album...if so, man I missed it. That piece of material is a classic imho.

Great tune (a fav from that album CD). They still have it. Too bad Mr. Baker had stick his nose in and change history. I liked what EC-SW had going, ah-well. Great tone, btw.

I don't recall the specifics of why they were only a one-and-done...but yea, history missed possibly a better story to tell. Such is life.

Check out What's Shakin' on Electra.

There you'll find very early Clapton & Winwood

as Eric Clapton & the Powerhouse.

Yup, they should've stuck together.

But even before that,

Clapton's solo on the Yardbirds

"I Ain't Got You"

took my junior high school ears

to a whole different place.

The Beano tone being developed.

I don't love everything Eric's done,

but I do like a lot of it.

I don't recall the specifics of why they were only a one-and-done...but yea, history missed possibly a better story to tell. Such is life.

As I recall the story, EC and Sw were hanging informally, working on tunes. Ginger showed up/ rang, in essence asked himself in. Word of that got out and the hype machine cranked into full gear. EC ended up hating the gig and hangin' with Delaney Bramlett. Which worked out, but EC/SW did seem simpatico and the songs (Cry today, Cant Find, Presence) and covers (THats Alright) showed promise.

love him or hate him, you gotta like some of the early stuff he was part of -

Stevie's voice hasn't changed a bit. Not a bad guitar either..

Stevie Winwood has never gotten the recognition he deserves as a guitarist. His voice is so incredible that his superb guitar playing gets lost in the shuffle.

Archived